Pitching speeds from TPM 2012 Showcase

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
I thought these pitch speeds would be 5-7MPH slower than what the 'California' kids are throwing. Considering the graduation years, most of these pitchers are probably playing 16U, with a couple of 18U and 14U kids thrown in.

Some of the faster kids on that chart are 14-15 year old freshman and sophmores. I was using that to compare speeds at the 14u national tournaments.

-W

Oct 19, 2009
I remember when they posted the speeds last year and they seem about the same as last years speeds. As far as having that number of pitches, what they did was tell each pitcher to throw the drop, curve and etc and then check with their gun. It does not necessarily mean it is a quality pitch, she just threw it XX MPH.

Notice one girls who’s pitches were all 62, but the rise was 61 and change was 42. I’m guessing she was pretty much throwing her fastball, it looks good on paper though.

Jan 3, 2011
Depends On The Day
So, people paid for their DD's to be gunned here, but college coaches know that it is baloney?

I wasn't there this year; However, TPM has a great reputation and staff and well recognized in the SE. They have 100's of students that have gone DI, DII, DIII, NAIA and JUCO. In the past they have had between 50-100 schools/coaches attend their Recruiting Camps and Events. I'm sure the list (and mph) was more for the Coaches in attendance benefit to see where they slotted players against other possible recruits and the attending coaches could easily see which pitches worked for any one recruit they were looking at.

Here's a link to the TPM shop:

The Pitcher's Mound

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The following is from a local "2012 NFCA Valley Invite Recruiting Camp" and represents a larger sample size ... albeit from a population, that IMO, represents a segment of people testing the waters and who lack a good understanding of what it takes to play in college.

http://www.mrsoftballinc.com/camp/docs/pdf/2012/pitcher_stats.pdf

Again, taking the fastest speed from each pitcher, and plugging that into a spread sheet ...

Average = 56.1 mph
Median = 56.0 mph
High = 66 mph
Low = 47 mph
Stdev = 3.2 mph
13.6% were able to throw a pitch at 60 mph or higher.

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
Just as a comparison, numbers from an NPF showcase in the northeast in July- similar to population that FFS describes- 53 pitchers.

Average was 55.2 mph; High 68; 10% were able to throw 60 or higher.

No info on year of graduation for these pitchers

Gbucz

WNY native now in Charlotte, NC
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I always have to laugh at the numbers too. My DD throws regularly 55-57 fast, 52-54 rise and screw, 50-52 drop and 38 change all with pinpoint accuracy. She does not walk batters after the first two innings when she figures out what the ump will give her on movement. Most WNY umps can't handle it at all so everything must start middle of the plate and break out. She was religated to #2 because she is not flashy.

The #1 could throw 60-62 for all her pitches - mom claims 5-7 or more - and a 32 change! The catcher could not call for a spot as #1 could not hit with any consistency and walked players in the 5-7 innings costing us runs - but she could throw 60mph! Well I filmed several innings and watched every pitch having screwball spin with no detectable movement and the change has a good slowpitch arc to it and rarely made it near the strikezone. The coaches thought she was wonderful even though the stats would tell another story.

As my DD learned early on; speed kills but movement frustrates. Every batter can catch up to a speed only pitcher but movement will confound the best of hitters all game long - especially in double headers!!

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
If I was running a expo I'd add in a few more meaningful stats.

Strike outs vs innings
BB vs innings
Strike to ball ratio
ERA vs tournament
Hits allowed
LOB%

Speed is great if Im going to the circus, I need facts to determine how good a pitcher really is.

Edit: I think the LOB% is the most underrated stat, but one of the most important. How you pitch with no runners on is very different from how you pitch with runners in scoring position. It's a true test of how a pitcher re-acts to pressure.

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
If I was running a expo I'd add in a few more meaningful stats.

Strike outs vs innings
BB vs innings
Strike to ball ratio
ERA vs tournament
Hits allowed
LOB%

Speed is great if Im going to the circus, I need facts to determine how good a pitcher really is.

Edit: I think the LOB% is the most underrated stat, but one of the most important. How you pitch with no runners on is very different from how you pitch with runners in scoring position. It's a true test of how a pitcher re-acts to pressure.

The fact is that speed is the only "stat" that can be compared across the board without bias. The rest of your key stats are subject to many variables i.e., quality of competition faced, level of play, quality of own team, umpiring competency, official scoring vagaries, etc. etc. A SB pitcher < 60 mph is like MLB pitching prospect < 6'4", you better have something else that stands out strongly enough to get a second look.

Oct 19, 2009
Interesting, these girls are a good 5-7mph faster then the "California" kids at the ASA and PGF nationals for like aged kids. Must be the chicken in Atlanta!

-W

Just wondering, the Califorina speeds where they game speed or pitching to a radar gun?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi