Pitching speeds from TPM 2012 Showcase

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
Thought I saw a few pitches at 74mph.

My DD's pitching coach attends the WCWS every year. She clocked Keilani Ricketts with the pocket Radar at 74 because she also doubted the televised speed.. She texted me a photo of the result because I did not believe it either. She said Rickets was consistent at 70-71 but would occasionally hit 72-74.

Jul 26, 2010
So, 25% of the kids can throw 60+MPH. Out of that 25%, how many do you think have a real breaking pitch? Probably, half.

Did you watch college softball last year? The ability to actually throw a pitch that really breaks does not seem to be a prerequisite to pitching for a D1 school. The ability to convince a coach that your curveball spins fast is the name of the game. Results do not matter much in the whack-a-mole world of college softball.

-W

Apr 13, 2010
Did you watch college softball last year? The ability to actually throw a pitch that really breaks does not seem to be a prerequisite to pitching for a D1 school. The ability to convince a coach that your curveball spins fast is the name of the game. Results do not matter much in the whack-a-mole world of college softball.

-W

I'm confused. :confused:

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
My DD's pitching coach attends the WCWS every year. She clocked Keilani Ricketts with the pocket Radar at 74 because she also doubted the televised speed.. She texted me a photo of the result because I did not believe it either. She said Rickets was consistent at 70-71 but would occasionally hit 72-74.

Thank you Coachmom. I believed the radar readings on the other pitchers during the WCWS also.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
EP Dad--Starsnuffer is perhaps prone to hyperbole (something I would never do :rolleyes:), but...

During the CWS, the college players were scoring runs like crazy. During the the World Softball Championship, the same kids couldn't score a run against a pitcher who is throwing slower than the girls at CWS. A reasonable person should ask, "Why?"

The answer is that most of the pitchers at the CWS have marginal breaking pitches. So, they get hammered by good hitters. When those same hitters face a pitcher with a real breaking pitch, suddenly they can't hit it.

Daddies routinely brag here and at the ball park that their kid has four breaking pitches when in reality they don't have any. Daddies say, "She knows these pitches, but she can't throw them consistently." <---That means, "She can't throw a breaking pitch." If a pitcher can't get a pitch to break 90% of the time, then it is the same as not having one. It is worthless.

But, Daddies are more into having a bunch of poor breaking pitches than one good breaking pitch.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi