Pitching speeds from TPM 2012 Showcase

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
For fun, I placed the fastest speed for each pitcher into a spread sheet.

Average = 58.2 mph

Median = 58 mph

Stdev = 2.66

High = 62 mph

Low = 51 mph

42% were able to throw 60 mph or higher.

Jul 26, 2010
Interesting, these girls are a good 5-7mph faster then the "California" kids at the ASA and PGF nationals for like aged kids. Must be the chicken in Atlanta!

-W

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I am puzzled about the different pitches, too. Plus, they were right in line with the speed of their fast ball. I did look at the chart, though. I don't know the last time, that I have seen any female that had 6 true pitches. Probably, never.

Apr 13, 2010
I am puzzled about the different pitches, too. Plus, they were right in line with the speed of their fast ball. I did look at the chart, though. I don't know the last time, that I have seen any female that had 6 true pitches. Probably, never.

I've seen a girl demonstrate all the pitches. Curve, Screw, Drop, Rise, Fastball, and Change-Up. Doesn't mean they're all effective.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
We just got the radar rumors at our teams 1st practice yesterday. I was told that "the #1 pitcher" by a parent and former coach, as though its over all ready...Haha can throw it 52 MPH. 10U

I told DD, and she just smiled, and said "I'm going to play SS too then !" Not sure what she meant, but think she wants to be ring side to see it. At the tryouts, they had (#1 pitcher) , and told the hitters that they had to suicide bunt, and they only got 4 pitches. DD was the only one who got the only one close enough for even that. That has to be one of the most masterful mask jobs I've seen so far in this game. We are used to seeing innovative, spontaneous drills being made up as they go at team practice. HA!!!

Anyways DD has the number to shoot at. Think I'm going to pull out all stops this year, and turn her lose on the speed scams.

Sorry I just don't put much stock in radar reading, but they can keep the illusion alive. They can serve as a goal setter. DD does wonder why I won't let her be shot with one. She don't know that I do it with a camera. We go by the wear on my glove. Got a brand new one in July, has a hole right under the first finger as of this week.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Keep in mind that the ladies participating in this event were likely not committed to a college program.

In other words, in a sample of pitchers, in which those with commitments to play in college have been filtered out, that 42% of them were capable of throwing a pitch at 60mph or higher.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Interesting, these girls are a good 5-7mph faster then the "California" kids at the ASA and PGF nationals for like aged kids. Must be the chicken in Atlanta!

-W

I thought these pitch speeds would be 5-7MPH slower than what the 'California' kids are throwing. Considering the graduation years, most of these pitchers are probably playing 16U, with a couple of 18U and 14U kids thrown in.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi