Pitching Mask

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Game Face is great for smaller girls (with smaller heads).
Otherwise...Rip-It and Schutt. As everyone states...Rip It needs some chin pad modification to ensure it stays put. Nothing a little krazy glue does not fix.

Apr 1, 2010
My DD has a Rip-it and it's great. The first chin pad kept coming off and was eventually lost, but we haven't had a problem with the new one.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
My DD went through Gameface, Bangerz (full-face), and now Rip-It. The Rip-It mask gives her by far the best vision and she will not use any other mask. I have girls on the team that use other plastic masks, and they will not keep them on because they can't see out of them! We solved the chin pad issue by sewing on a small piece of Velcro to the bottom of the chin pad and it stays put now.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I tried to switch to Rip It, from Gameface and it was SO dang heavy. I guess it is whatever you get used to. I have no issues with being able to see. How do catchers and goalies see? You just get used to it - and of course, it has to fit right.

Jul 26, 2010
Anyone have any experience with the Schutt titanium fielders masks? They're expensive ($70-$80), but a similar design to rip-it and they are supposed to be much lighter. I don't want to shell out the cash though if they're really isn't a good weight difference.

-W

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Anyone have any experience with the Schutt titanium fielders masks? They're expensive ($70-$80), but a similar design to rip-it and they are supposed to be much lighter. I don't want to shell out the cash though if they're really isn't a good weight difference.

-W

Here's a solution that won't cost you any money. Have your DD wear a catcher's helmet for 5 minutes. Any complaints about the weight of the Rip-It (or any other model) fielder's mask should vanish (and her appreciation for her catchers should increase).

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Here's a solution that won't cost you any money. Have your DD wear a catcher's helmet for 5 minutes. Any complaints about the weight of the Rip-It (or any other model) fielder's mask should vanish (and her appreciation for her catchers should increase).

That is just too funny!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
The men on the slow pitch board, claim that their pitchers are starting to wear a helmet with a mask. I think it is by Schutt. They airbrush it, to make it look cool.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Throwing this out there to see if there are any changes or new opinions regarding who's making the best facemask these days. Been using the old plastic Skilz masks for the past 4yrs and it's time to upgrade, seems like the Rip-It and the Schutt are still standouts. Not sure if the Schutt Varsity (Titanium) is worth the extra $$ for the lower weight?

Also - anyone know of any deals/discounts happening right now? Twins = double the fun, double the $$!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1