Pitcher - Covering Home - How To?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Even UofA's top dog, with arm problems, covers home plate. As a long time first baseman, I never ever was expected to cover home. That player is sometimes 60 feet from the bag, while the pitcher is about 35 feet.

Mar 13, 2010
Even UofA's top dog, with arm problems, covers home plate. As a long time first baseman, I never ever was expected to cover home. That player is sometimes 60 feet from the bag, while the pitcher is about 35 feet.

But I was taught from a very young age to be closer to home (and second knew to cover first in these situations) just in case. I am SLOOOOOW but I always beat the runner there. This was how it was always done. The pitcher is already working their tail off, I'm not expecting them to cover home at a dead sprint too!

Jul 26, 2010
If the pitcher was working her tail off then the ball wouldn't get past the catcher (catcher is the hardest worker on the field).

The pitcher knows it's a bad pitch the moment it leaves her hand and should already be charging in. She should also be prepared to do so on every drop or high rise she throws.

The pitcher is a defender the moment she pitches, not a speed bump taking up air in the middle of the field.

If the pitcher isn't covering,p what the heck IS she doing on this play?

-W

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207