Missing home base

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2023
We have this situation:
R3 runs towards home but he misses homeplate. He tries immediately to return to home and he moves towards home but the catcher tries to tag him out the the runner goes backwards 4ft from home to avoid the tag, is it legal? How is the basepath when the runner overrun homebase but he tries to come back again? I was just wondering how far in the vicinity of the plate must the runner go before he would be called out for being out of the baseline? I know more leeway is given around the plate but how much?

Aug 25, 2019
Well, once a runner missed homeplate, there is no more baseline so they can do as they please. The catcher should know that she doesn't have to tag runn er, just appeal to umpire " she missed home! ". and touch home plate, just like any other base.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Remember the basepath is established as the line directly from the runner (literally wherever they are) to the base (they are headed to) when there is an active attempt to tag the runner. Otherwise it is irrelevant - the runner can go where ever they like as long as they don't enter dead ball territory..

So just like a base runner at any other base, if they actively deviate from this basepath in an attempt to avoid a tag, they will be out.

There is no addiotnal leeway around the plate - runners just act differently because they don't have to stop like they do at other bases and home plate is flat, so they and can slide through, over, near and at higher speeds. The rules don't differentiate home from 2nd or 3rd in most cases.

And the runner can go as far away as they like before an attempt to return unless they enter dead ball territory.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2023
And the runner can go as far away as they like before an attempt to return unless they enter dead ball territory.

is there a rule someone can quote/cite?

In this case though, the attempt IS made. Can the runner back away again or does the baseline end at the tag attempt point? So once the runner starts retreating, she's backed away from the baseline and is therefore out right?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida

In this case though, the attempt IS made. Can the runner back away again or does the baseline end at the tag attempt point? So once the runner starts retreating, she's backed away from the baseline and is therefore out right?

BASE PATH not baseline.

Once the tag is no longer being attempted, the base path goes away and can be reestablished with another tag attempt which happens regularly in a pickle between bases and multiple throws,

And yes, avoiding the tag directly 4' back from the a base path is out in this case as there is not a base to retreat to. I believe there is a USA case for this - don't have that in front of me.

In USSSA it is Rule 8.18.A
Sec 18. Any runner is out when the runner: A. Runs more than three feet away from the base path to avoid being tagged, or to hinder a fielder while the runner is advancing or returning to a base. EXCEPTION: This is not an infraction if a fielder, attempting to make an initial play on a batted ball, is in the runner’s proper path and if the runner runs behind the fielder to avoid interfering. NOTE: When a play is being made on a runner or batter-runner, the runner establishes their base path as directly between the runner’s position and the base toward which the runner is moving.

Base Path is defined as:
BASE PATH. A base path is a direct line between a base and the runner’s position at the time a defensive player is attempting (or about to attempt) to tag a runner.

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
Now ... if you didn't think that was sticky enough (it really wasn't) ... when does the tag attempt occur? This is where we umpires could use some specification.

May 17, 2023

Yes, could anyone answer this please?
In this case though, the attempt IS made, i.e. I think when the fielder moves toward the runner. Can the runner back away again or does the basepath end at the tag attempt point? So once the runner starts retreating, he's backed away from the basepath and is therefore out or not?
Thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles