Perfect Game at 10U! (i'm bragging if you want to skip this)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
I believe it was 2002, I was pretty much begged to work with 8 to 10-year-old beginning pitchers. Apperently no other pitching instructor in the area wanted to take on the beginners. The instructors only wanted the older travel ball and HS students (to get their name in the paper I guess). I found that very irritating and sad, so I said "Send em on." Wasn't long before I was up to my eyeballs in these little beginners.

Okay. This is going to sound like I am bragging here also. I am, but on my students at the time. I went to a local leagues All Star tournament. The best 'teams' stayed together and played against each other and I had several pitching students in that league.

I arrived a few minutes before the final game. Spotted one of my students warming up and went to her side of the stands. The game started and she fanned the first three hitters. Then the other team took the field and another one of my students took over the circle. UH-OH! So I walked over to the other side and spotted her folks and talked with them.

Well, she struck out the first three she faced too. The parents understood my position on the game so I went back to the other side again.

To make a somewhat long story as short as I can. pitcher A threw a perfect game, 21 straight strike outs. Pitcher B ended up with 17 strike outs and the first 14 batters she faced were K'd. Team A won 2 to 0. It made the local papers.

I congratulted both of them and told them I was very proud of them. Then, I ran like heck because of lacal reporters on hand.

CT-TEXAS.COM

That's really cool. If you think that's a tad uncomfortable, try having two daughters on opposing teams face each other as hitter and pitcher! My 11YO (still 10U eligible) was in game against my 8YO's team. When my dd Jessica came up to bat their coach called time and switched pitchers and brought my 8YO to pitch to her! I was coaching 3B and sort of freaking. Unfortunately my 8YO walked her; but we got some cool pictures of a rare thing. They will both be in the same tourney here in a couple and a half weeks; maybe then.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misscoug