A weekend that makes it all worth it.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2013
Whenever I get frustrated I'll remember this weekend.

We are a new 14U B team that basically came from rec. We really only have 1 good pitcher so it limits us in pool play. After going 1-2 on Saturday where we actually hit very well. Top 4 were OB 28-36. Wound up someone as number 1 in Silver bracket with a 1st round bye.

First game against a team that was actually pretty good, but played 2-3-4 seed in pool play so went 0-3. Down 2-1 as time expired we were home and had 6th of 9 coming up.

Girl hits a double to right. 7th hitter is a great bunter but number 8 is 0 for the weekend and 9 was had a 250 batting average in soft toss. I called for bunt and after a perfect bunt 2B does not cover so I have 1st and 3rd feeling good. I want to get to second third so I give hitter take sign which she misses and hits slow grounder to SS, girl from 3rd break on throw to first and scores girl goes to third on throw home which scoots away from C. They call time so I walk up to 9th hitter and ask if she can get a bunt down. She looks at me with the most confident eyes I've ever seen her and say "Yes". Perfect bunt and they don't throw. Takes second on first pitch. I tell runner on third we are going on any ground ball. For some reason the coach doesn't play infield in and girl hits a sinking liner that could have been caught by SS if IF is in, but isn't, winning run scores.

Finals we are playing a team that went 2.5 innings they day before with a 10-8 game. No score through 3. They go up 1-0, Our pitcher hits a 2 run double in the 5th to go up 2-1. Bottom of 6th as time is expired we make some errors that allows them to win 3-2. The kids were bummed, but for many it's the first time they played in a real softball game. I can think of a bad read I made on a line drive to Left Center that caused a DP, or had our 2 missing players been around I would have had some better OF at the end, but in one day we played in 2 real softball games.

If we had a team thinking Nationals, going 2-3 and winning 2nd in Silver we would get nasty phone calls from parents, but for us, it was a great weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32