Tourney #2 in the books

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
USSSA speaking she is 13. The team is comprised of 14-15 yo's with the exception of a 16 yo and then my 12 yo. She is the equivalent of a 16U teams 3rd pitcher from what I've seen as it relates to pitch speed and stuff but mentally she is a 12 yo. The JV pitcher is 15 and has only been pitching a few years but again, her mechanics are atrocious. I'm not even sure they can be fixed to be made even serviceable. I'll work on her all winter and see what happens.

Not sure what the TB options are where you live, but I would not recommend putting a 12 year old on a team with 14-16 year olds, even if she is the best player on the team. The level of maturity between a typical 12 year old and 16 year old is HUGE!!!! A team of 12 year olds "playing up" in a 14U or 16U tournament is a different situation.

When my DD was in 8th grade (13yo), she played on a travel volleyball team with a bunch of juniors and seniors (16 and 17 year olds). She was one of the best players on the team, but was socially an outcast because she did not have anything in common with the other girls on the team.

Jun 24, 2013
Not sure what the TB options are where you live, but I would not recommend putting a 12 year old on a team with 14-16 year olds, even if she is the best player on the team. The level of maturity between a typical 12 year old and 16 year old is HUGE!!!! A team of 12 year olds "playing up" in a 14U or 16U tournament is a different situation.

When my DD was in 8th grade (13yo), she played on a travel volleyball team with a bunch of juniors and seniors (16 and 17 year olds). She was one of the best players on the team, but was socially an outcast because she did not have anything in common with the other girls on the team.

And not to mention the "discussions" these older girls have! Yikes! Makes me blush just to talk about it.

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
You'd have to meet my youngest to understand her. I have never met any kid like her in my life. She is smart as a whip, has a photographic memory, has her entire life planned out....it is ridiculous. She is not out of her league socially, just in a different grade. Most of the older girls ask her for help on their homework!! I would actually say socially she is ahead of her sister but they are completely different people. One is sweet, patient and would do anything for anyone, with the exception of a few 15 year old moments while the young one wants to make you bad and bury you. She gets that from me except I don't have the brains or talent to back it up....well except in golf.

Anybody ever wondered what the correlation is between softball players and volleyball is? Is it because it is a predominantly female sport at the middle school and high school levels? At least in my area.

Oct 10, 2013
I wouldn't do it...my DD was the same....Talent and smart enough to play up but maturity. She freaked when a 16 yr old pulled up in her own car. She pitched extremely well but...no. She plays her age group now and is having a great time.

I would say good luck! My only advice is to register as a C team. Play and have fun, you can move to a B easier than moving back to a C. My area it's harder to move down.

Jul 6, 2013
Either coach a 14u team or a 16u team. Not this aboration you have going now. Sounds like you have half a team of each. There is no benefit to it. As soon as you think you are getting it together, half the team goes to 18s....here comes a new crop of 14s? If you're going to play a team up like that, play a team up that you can move the whole team up when they go...keep them together....unless you're telling us that your DD is going to be your pitcher in 18u at the age of 14....in which case, you shouldn't be allowed to coach....

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
I have a full two seasons at 16U before the thought of 18U even comes across. I believe there is a lot of benefit of playing younger teams against older teams. These girls are for the most part in high school. If they made varsity and played, they could potentially be playing against 17-18 year olds. What's the difference? I guess they shouldn't be prepared for that...

Softball88 - I had us changed to a C but this past tournament was open regardless. Our next tournament will be against other C's. Interested in seeing what the difference is.

Jun 1, 2013
Slappers, you are there so your judgement counts most. Is your 12 ready and capable of handling a line drive back at her face from a girl that may be 17 after January? She can absolutely be capable of pitching speeds of 16 year olds but not be able to handle the defensive side of that. I have no problem with 12's playing with 16, except for pitcher and third base. They have to be absolutely focused and athletically capable before I would recommend that. It is a player by player decision. You gotta make that call.
They can play 20 games successfully at this level but it only takes the one hard hit up the middle or down the line to ruin the confidence of a young player. Hopefully you have her in a mask. Our 14a pitcher was hit twice last weekend, she is an older 14a. She never put a glove on the ball. One straight to the knee, the other to the hand. IMO, she may throw hard but she is too slow with reflexes and one day she will get hurt. She doesn't wear a mask either. Be careful with your pitcher, at this age any one girl is capable of sending a well hit ball straight back to the pitcher or down third base with enough force and heat on it to cause severe damage. Like I said, you are there making the decisions. Make sure you are giving your dd a fair evaluation in terms of safety on the mound.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
C ball at 16's is where girls go to socialize while parents compare tournament shirts. There is nothing wrong with that. 16c is not where pitchers go to get better, and hitters work on their swing. They do it to have fun. It is what it is.

I've just have never personally seen any team maintain the competitive girls whom would allow the team the ability to move up. The competitive girls will guest play for a stronger team, enjoy that experience, and then realize that it takes "like minds" to have a team for whatever skill level is to be played. Regardless of what their current coach is assuring them will happen"down the road, lol". That is how it works and should work.

Softball is not a game of "first one in the ditch, wins" you'll see plenty of that without inadvertently starting there. Good luck with whatever you do, it will be an experience no matter what road you go down. Enjoy it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi