Parents of older pitchers, what do you know now that you wish you knew when it first started.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
Like others, I just wish that we had the right information and approach from the jump. As a bucket dad with no prior background in softball, it was hard to get there and, frankly, took a ton of effort on my part to find better sources of information.

I don’t know if the time was “wasted” early on because we were still learning things and having success in our small little corner of the world. But I knew we had to find a way to keep improving. When we really began focusing on good IR mechanics (probably the last two+ years) it was definitely more difficult to unlearn some things—still working on it—than just learning them properly from the beginning.

Particularly at the younger ages (and maybe at any age), I think keeping things simple is the way to go. Make this dynamic, explosive, complex movement as simple as possible and explain it as simply as possible. Most girls are not interested in the debates we get into on the pitching forum about “kinematic sequence” or “magnus forces.” Nor should they be.

As some others have pointed out, working on the mental side of pitching—how to handle and respond to the inevitable adversity you face in the circle—may be the most important thing for helping a girl grind through her early development and come out the other side. So much of it is just showing up to do the work and sticking with it.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
1. Use video! It reveals what is not always obvious to the naked eye at real speed

2. Be "positively honest". When it comes to the "positive" don't yell at your kid or show obvious signs of disappointment. Don't snub them because of a bad practice. Believe it or not, they are not intentionally doing poorly just to aggravate you. The "honest" part - don't tell them that they are doing it well or right when they are not. Keep reminding them it is a process...no one learns to play piano after the first lesson.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
I had 4 DDs that hit and we wasted decades on bad hitting instruction - so I agree with the criminal RICO comment :)

For my son, I taught him how to pitch. I didn't listen to any PC. Bought a radar gun, and tried techniques - if faster, keep doing it. Most things you hear from baseball PC is nonsense.

P.S. also taught him every grip starting at age 11. Didn't believe the 'only FB' stuff. He was a D1 pitcher.

The most important lesson to learn for hitting or pitching is that time is your biggest enemy.

Mar 10, 2020
DD currently plays 16U, but started pitching in travel at 8U. So we're down this road quite a ways.

We had no idea how much "more" being a pitcher means. Being a pitcher means it's more expensive, more time commitment, more practice, more pressure, and did I mention more expensive? I think pitchers (and their parents) should be subsidized.
3 dd's one pitcher.
As a measuring stick
have found weekly hitting takes up same amount of extra time as pitching workouts. Double time to be a pitcher who can hit.

Jun 20, 2016
Reading threads like this are bitter sweet to me. Obviously it's a good thing that everyone found their way away from HE pitching and pitching coaches. But it's also sad that those coaches still exist.

When I started my instructional business about 20 years ago and got a website 2 years later, I used to have a monthly newsletter and web "blog" where I'd rant and rave of the "PCM" : Pitching Coach Mafia. I believe the PCM is a criminal organization and should be locked up under the federal RICO charges used against the Gambino family. They literally steal money from parents and rob children from their pitching dreams. Think of how many pitchers have ever played this game who were coached by HE people, don't you wonder how they'd have done without that crap? How many kids loved pitching and tried so hard but were crippled by a PCM coach who taught them things contrary to what most of know to be "right". I think it's incumbent of everyone to battle the PCM at every chance. Kind of like the slogan: If you see something, say something. As a parent, wouldn't you have wanted someone to put you on your path sooner?

Top_Notch, you're right about the commitment needed. But that can also be the best part. I consider my journey up into my career the most fun.
I was very lucky with my daughters journey because I understood pitching more then most. Having played men’s Fastpitch as a pitcher for many years (not at Hillhouse’s level) but playing and pitching for years. I developed a firm understanding of how to throw a ball with proper spin and mechanics. However throughout our journey we were constantly being told by “HE pitching instructors” how she is good, but could be better with their help also they were quick to point out the things we were doing wrong. Like how close her hand was to her body at the point of release (brush contact) How that would limit her movement pitches!!!!

Made me second guess what we were doing what I was teaching her. There are lots of instructors in Cali that all claim to be the best and none were teaching her what I was. I started to think maybe there was a difference from men’s Fastpitch to women’s Fastpitch.That was until I discovered Hillhouse videos on YouTube!!

At that point I knew I wasn’t crazy so we stayed the course and as luck would have it..... My daughter ended up playing for Bill at PC while he was there. He helped take her to freshman player of the year and first team big east. I for one cannot be more thankful for his help getting her to the next level.

But I guess what I learned the most was don’t listen to the masses who claim to know something. I am a firm believer in, if your pitching instructor cannot demonstrate what he or she teaches correctly then move on!! If they cannot demonstrate a pitch correctly then how on earth do they know what those particular pitches feel like when they leave the hand.....That’s my .02

Aug 21, 2008
Admittedly, I started reading this and wondering who the hell was writing it!! Your reference to your daughter and PC (Providence College), and her accomplishments gave you away pal. I almost texted you the other day to see how she was doing, how it's going, and carry on our previous conversations about things out there for her. But I got sidetracked. Sorry man.

First of all, it needs to be said, if I win the Powerball, I will never look at a softball again. Ever. Ever. But, since that's unlikely my only other wish is that I'm still able to demo things at lessons for pitchers as many are visual learners. I'm 48 now and have the broken down body of a 78 yr old... thanks to the lifestyle I chose as a kid and well into my early 40's. And I'm talking about the grueling life of traveling constantly, 5 games in a weekend, lousy hotels, bad ballpark food, too much beer, etc. It's not as if I was on tour with the Grateful Dead or anything though. But, I digress. I don't know how many here do their best with demonstrations during lessons but I'd like to think it's a lot. I've encouraged people (mom's, dad's, coaches, etc) to try pitching themselves for the same reason you mentioned and for other reasons: primarily so they understand how hard this is to do and it will teach anyone trying to learn some humility and patients when their DD doesn't get everything as fast as they think she should.

And I wish more people (all position player parents, not just pitchers) took the advice above about not putting too much stock in the 10u outcomes. There will always be nutcase parents who make their 9yr old do shuttle runs for 3 hours in 90 degrees to help her be a "better player". But lets hope that's the exception not the rule.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619