Parents of older pitchers, what do you know now that you wish you knew when it first started.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 17, 2019
DD practices everyday, but usually ends up turning her elbow early and causing a pushing motion similar to EU but without the snap, and she's all over the yard.

It's the darned 'princess hand' finish! My DD internalized that cue over everything else. She would get to that position before release - so she was throwing a change up every time with the hand ahead of the ball going into release. This resulted in bad control also.
Finally broke her by reinforcing "Yes, the hand finishes in the princess hand, but the pinky leads the hand into release"
Learn about whip and brush. Practice your 9 o'clocks.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2019
As others have said, 18 months sounds like a long time to be struggling with control. You didn’t say how old your daughter is, but I imagine that the longer she was pitching HE the harder it’s going to be to re-train her muscle memory.

DD started going to a Tincher instructor when she was 10, and it did take almost a year for her to establish control. But her circle time before that was limited — she had a good year in rec as a second-year 10U and decided that she wanted to be a pitcher.

She’s someone who has sacrificed speed for control, which the consensus on here seems to be against. Hopefully I won’t be contributing to a future thread such as this saying what a big mistake that was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oy vey...
What does Tincher say about poopy control?

( maybe i missed that)
She often reiterates the fundimentals and works on her confidence. She is not an incompetent coach. She has successful students. For whatever reason, it isn't clicking with my DD.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
As Mr. Miyagi said in the Karate Kid: no such thing as bad student, only bad teacher. Now, I'm not calling your DD's teacher bad, even though that's how it sounds. What I am saying is, this is not your fault or your DD's. I truly cannot believe it's been 18mo and you're having these issues. I would stop coaching if I couldn't get her to throw into her net in 18 MINUTES, 18 mo's is an eternity. If you think about it, it's almost 1/10th of her entire pitching life. It's not that I"m special or better than anyone else. I'm not. But this is not rocket science. In fact, I would say the inverse is true: switching to a "Tincher coach" should've made pitching and pitching life so much easier. may I ask where you live? I don't throw coaching recommendations out lightly, in fact I rarely do it. I'm sure there are a lot of great coaches out there, but I just don't know a lot of them personally or what they teach. And in cases like this, a coach is supposed to be teaching THIS but apparently is teaching THAT. So, I'm cautious with my referrals. But, I'd like to give you an option if I can of someone or something different. If you PM me your address, I'll put some DVD's in the mail for you which should correct your issues in a NY minute. Or, at the very least, help you see the difference and what might be the issue(s). Of course, this is all predicated on the hope that you still have a DVD player. lol.
@kibadbo THIS is why this site is so special. You get honest feedback and people like @Hillhouse that offer up their help. Hats off to you Bill and good Karma always comes back around. jump all over this @kibadbo

Apr 17, 2019
She is not an incompetent coach. She has successful students. For whatever reason, it isn't clicking with my DD.

This sounds obvious, but not every teacher or teaching style works for every student.
That's why schools moved to 'common core'. Now every student has to learn many different ways to do the same task. Also not ideal.
Fortunately, you're not in pitching school. I'd look around for a different teacher that teaches I/R in your area. If there are none, the online resources are amazing now, the pandemic has even accelerated it. Lots of people offering virtual lessons.
Or, you can learn it yourself. I'll vouch for paulygirlfastpitch having been through their courses. But there are others - Amanda Scarborough has an online curriculum now. So does fastpitchpower. For the price of a few lessons, you can become fairly proficient yourself.*
*disclaimer: online courses can not replace actual experience.

Apr 8, 2019
@kibadbo THIS is why this site is so special. You get honest feedback and people like @Hillhouse that offer up their help. Hats off to you Bill and good Karma always comes back around. jump all over this @kibadbo
Def
Agreed. I hit up @Hillhouse in a DM, and he was super helpful. Out of curiosity, I searched YT and watched a few of his videos. I found a cue that is already yielding results. I'm thrilled! Thanks to you all again.

Apr 8, 2019
SHHHHHHHHHSH!!! It's not a secret if everyone knows!!! Besides, what did I say? Sometimes I even amaze myself!! lol
Bicep touching her ear, forearm across her belly button. She's been told to "get her arm through" or to stop "short arming" it a million times. She obviously had no idea what that meant. But the forearm/bb made just made sense.

I also liked how you explained IR. It just sounds like common sense when you explained it. It made me question why HE was ever a thing. Good stuff.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619