Did I do the right thing? (leaving a team)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 24, 2021
Southeast
This will be a little long so bear with me...

My DD plays 8u travel, with a great attitude and is very easy to get along with and be around. Our only expectations and goals for her at this time is to have fun playing better competition than rec, and to grow and develop with a team that has great chemistry top to bottom( last one is a big one, and is a focal point of this post.)

She had been playing rec for a few seasons with our local org who fields two teams, 4 coaches apiece. The majority (6) of the coaches are my age, we all went to the same schools and they grew up being friends together and eventually having girls the same age. All of these girls in turn have been in each other's lives heavily since birth.

This past season, the two rec teams went 15-0 and 13-2, and they decided to form a travel team pulling from the two teams(basically an all star team that will travel) . DD was a shoo in for this team as she was known throughout the league as a top player that season through all the teams. The tb team wound up being all of the 8 coaches kids, DD, and 3 other kids.

After the first practice, my daughter made a comment to me that some of the girls weren't being friendly, basically describing them as cliquey as best as an 8 yo could. As practice and a couple tournaments went on, I had been paying attention and saw exactly what she was talking about. These girls, who happened to be the coaches kids, would ignore, give dirty looks, roll eyes to any of the other 4 kids on the team. It was a situation of "this is a club you're not in, and we're not accepting new members." I had friendly discussions with the HC about some of the issues, and the mean talk stopped, but in the end the exclusion continued.

Because of the friendship dynamic, you can be sure that there was some daddy ball in play. DD wound up batting last every tournament we played, even though she's a double or triple hitter with excellent consistency while we went three and out most of out 1st innings. (as I found out later, this baffled a lot of folks/opposing coaches)

After my wife and I had a discussion, and after having talks with a few friends who coach older TB teams about what was going in, I made the decision to pull her from the team mid season. I told the HC after we came home from winning a tournament through a phone conversation, and he seem surprised, but it was like he was more surprised that we were leaving a winning team than the issues I brought up. He did mention that he would talk to the other coaches and parents about the exclusion issue, but we had already been down that road before and nothing had changed.

So we have spent this past month practicing with some of those 8u teams we had been playing, which is how I learned that other people highly questioned some of her former coaches decisions. We've also been practicing with my friends 10u team, and will pick up for an out of state 8u team coming to a tournament a couple hours away in a couple of weeks. We were called by a coach who is forming an 8u team with the goal of this team growing and moving up at the same time, and she wants DD to come tryout for this team at the beginning of August. Since that call we have been meeting with her privately and she has been working with DD on some things. She had heard of DD's former team and when I told her about our situation she understood and assured us that team chemistry and bonding was a priority and the stuff that was going on with DD before would not be tolerated.

That's our story, I post this because I wanted to hear feedback from people that aren't close to us personally. Did we do the right thing, even though it was mid season? I know it boils down to doing what I think is best for my daughter, who hasn't minded this ordeal because she's met lots of new people and made new friends working with these other teams. What do y'all think?

Nov 18, 2013
I think you made the wrong decision leave my mid season. Unless there’s extreme circumstances it’s best to wait until the end of the season to move. You’ll have lots of ups and downs over the years. You don’t want to make a habit of quitting every time you feel like your kid was slighted.

I think you should strongly reconsider joining the guy starting his own new team. He can say anything in his sakes pitch, but you’re better off researching, and watching, an established team play so you know exactly what you’re getting into.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
You left a team that just won a tourney because the coaches are playing the wrong kids?

8U tournies still boggle my mind

My opinion is that daddy ball exists and what it means is, the coach thinks his kid is better then mine and I know mine is better then his.

You quit mid season, it’s too late to unring that bell. Move on and Don’t play for coaches who are bashing your former team/coaches, they are giving you a pre-view of how they will act when you eventually leave their team.

Jul 24, 2021
Southeast
You left a team that just won a tourney because the coaches are playing the wrong kids?

8U tournies still boggle my mind

My opinion is that daddy ball exists and what it means is, the coach thinks his kid is better then mine and I know mine is better then his.

You quit mid season, it’s too late to unring that bell. Move on and Don’t play for coaches who are bashing your former team/coaches, they are giving you a pre-view of how they will act when you eventually leave their team.
Incorrect. We left the team because my daughter felt like the didn't fit in with the other teammates, and often times was treated badly by her teammates. I think you both completely glossed over this in the original post; perhaps I didn't make it clear.

No one is "bashing" her former team. Her instructor never bashed the team. Shs is a coach for a local college who directs a travel organization, is starting an 8u team focusing on development as a player and as a teammate. (team chemistry) Her reputation is without question.

Side note: why do 8u tournaments boggle your mind?

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
There are going to be cliques and jerks on every team she plays on from henceforth. It will happen. My DD has been playing softball since age 6 and is turning 18 in September. Never have we been on a team where this wasn't at least a minor issue. There will be drama. Always. It's part of growing up to learn how to navigate and deal with mean girls. You won't be able to shield her from it forever. What's done is done. At this point, you have to focus on next goals instead of dwelling on past "stuff."

And the coach's daughter thing is always an issue. Just make sure never to join a team where your DD plays the same position as HC's DD. Trust me on that one.

Jul 24, 2021
Southeast
There are going to be cliques and jerks on every team she plays on from henceforth. It will happen. My DD has been playing softball since age 6 and is turning 18 in September. Never have we been on a team where this wasn't at least a minor issue. There will be drama. Always. It's part of growing up to learn how to navigate and deal with mean girls. You won't be able to shield her from it forever. What's done is done. At this point, you have to focus on next goals instead of dwelling on past "stuff."

And the coach's daughter thing is always an issue. Just make sure never to join a team where your DD plays the same position as HC's DD. Trust me on that one.
Thanks. I understand that this won't be an isolated incident in DD's life. We had really hoped that once DD and I voiced our concerns to HC, that effort would be made to correct it because it is our jobs as parents to mold their minds and hearts. We teach DD that she never has to put up or tolerate abuse, nor should she ever be mean to anyone else.

Jun 8, 2016
Thanks. I understand that this won't be an isolated incident in DD's life. We had really hoped that once DD and I voiced our concerns to HC, that effort would be made to correct it because it is our jobs as parents to mold their minds and hearts. We teach DD that she never has to put up or tolerate abuse, nor should she ever be mean to anyone else.
I ran into this situation for 3 years with DD starting in first year 10's..wasn't necessarily with DD (a bit at first but once we told her to just ignore it she seemed to be fine and the "bullying" sort of stopped once the kid stopped getting a response) but the whole team climate was toxic and it didn't change even though things were said. If one of the mean girls is the coaches kid and it doesn't stop right away it will likely never stop...We eventually moved on.

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
Obligatory -- I read "8u" and I will concretely say you are wrong without having read a single other word in the post.

I am sorry if this sounds harsh, but we need more harsh reality sometimes.

Beyond that, yes you are wrong. You are not wrong for wanting to find an enjoyable experience for your daughter. You are wrong for thinking that the world of competitive softball is the answer.

Life sucks. People are mean. Favoritism happens. You are going to encounter the same things the rest of your life. Softball is a GAME, it affords us the opportunity to say "I don't enjoy this anymore" and to walk away; but the impact on LIFE is "what is to be learned or gained" from walking away? Sometimes the answer to that is legitimate, sometimes it is just self-serving. Jumping from one game to another to find "fair treatment for your princess" in 8u softball makes you as much a part of the problem as the Boy-Band of Fathers running the team.

I'm not even going to say that leaving mid-season was a mistake. I don't like it, but I recognize that there are times that it is necessary. I just don't know that you sold me that this was one of those necessary times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood