Parenting question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
In the parking lot of your child's HS, he/she buys a T-shirt which is inappropriate. The shirt violates a well-known and well-publicized school policy against wearing anything that promotes substance abuse on school property. He/she, although well aware of the rule, wears the shirt to school that day.
Do you:

A) Call the school and say that it is your child's constitutional right to wear whatever he/she wants.
B) Call the school and blame the principal for not adequately policing the far back corner of the parking lot.
C) Have a ""discussion" with your child about whether he/she has walking around sense.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
C.

But, I do have a problem with schools parenting the kids. I am not too into objecting to clothes and hair and eating oreos. But, you stated that it was a well known policy and ours is not to question why.

Jul 28, 2008
My kids already know that they abide by the ramifications of their decisions. No discussion is necessary with them. I might ask them if we need to have a discussion about being stupid, just for kicks and giggles.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
C.

But, I do have a problem with schools parenting the kids. I am not too into objecting to clothes and hair and eating oreos. But, you stated that it was a well known policy and ours is not to question why.

I don't think this is a case of the school doing the parenting. From the school's point of view, anything that distracts from the goal of learning, or anything that promotes something that is a common school problem (ie, drugs), becomes a school issue.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
Kid knows the drill, so I'd want to know the reason why. Was he/she making a statement of some sort? Or was it just a brain fade moment? I'm not really into blame.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
C. I might lean toward A for some things, but I believe that schools have certain rules to keep the kids focused on the tasks at hand. And since the rule is well known and publicized and not a knee jerk reaction then I say she should have known better. If I wanted to fight it based on A then I should have been fighting it before it actually affected my kid.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs