Parenting question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2014
Maybe we leave it up to the parents to decide if their kids should be allowed to bring weapons onto the high school campus because the big bad government is abusing their power with a zero tolerance policy. I'm positive our schools will be a lot safer when half the student body is carrying knifes and hand guns to math class. That's the type of educational system I want both my kids attending. No one is going to take away my right to "bear arms" in the classroom.

... just the public schools - right ! ? :eek:

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
Maybe we leave it up to the parents to decide if their kids should be allowed to bring weapons onto the high school campus because the big bad government is abusing their power with a zero tolerance policy. I'm positive our schools will be a lot safer when half the student body is carrying knifes and hand guns to math class. That's the type of educational system I want both my kids attending. No one is going to take away my right to "bear arms" in the classroom.

Misuse of: Reductio ad absurdum. An appeal to the extremes, a logical fallacy.

Pretty sure the temperament in here is more along the lines of "Let the punishment fit the crime, accounting for all factors and the history of the student." Zero tolerance is just as asinine as allowing all weapons.

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Misuse of: Reductio ad absurdum. An appeal to the extremes, a logical fallacy.

Pretty sure the temperament in here is more along the lines of "Let the punishment fit the crime, accounting for all factors and the history of the student." Zero tolerance is just as asinine as allowing all weapons.

I don't think zero tolerance is as bad as allowing all weapons. This is school and the penalty is not being allowed to go to that school anymore, not going to prison. At the same time I don't like seeing situations where there is no recourse for the situation that is truly an accident. Say a kid goes fishing in a pond after school and leaves a filet knife in his knapsack, not exactly the same as a gangbanger bringing a switchblade to school. It's tough and i don't have the answer other than my own experience in high school. I would prefer to have gone to a zero tolerance school that the one I went to where i was damn sure not going to piss off the wrong gangmembers, everyone in our school knew the Shore Line Crips and Venice Trece kids took guns to school or at least had them in their cars. We had a couple of shooting during my incarceration in high school and I could have done without that element. You get used to it and simply avoid it, but it would have been nice as a freshman not to accidentally bump into a 6'2" beast and have my life flash before my eyes.

Feb 7, 2013
Most "mandatory recommendation for expulsion" have some wiggle room for exceptional circumstances (I know CA's Educational Code does) but to blame the school system for your kids failure to adhere to the rules is a pretty weak argument. How about taking responsibility for your actions instead of blaming others for your failures.

I know we have gotten off topic of softball, so I will bow out at this point....

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
We used to bring pocket knives to school when I was a kid. In 4th grade I would break mine out in class during hobby day, or whatever it was called, for wood carving. I was told to be careful and not cut myself. It never entered anyone's mind to think to tell me not to use it as a weapon against anyone else.

*sigh* Different times, I know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie