Parenting question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 7, 2013
To me it's pretty much a non-issue. There is a world of difference between a T-shirt and actual indulgence in drugs. And I don't believe that T-shirt wearing is a precursor to drugs. I would sum up as: Poor taste; stupid choice; time to move on. As far as the constitution, the supreme court doesn't have to follow it so why would we believe a school would?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
In the parking lot of your child's HS, he/she buys a T-shirt which is inappropriate. The shirt violates a well-known and well-publicized school policy against wearing anything that promotes substance abuse on school property. He/she, although well aware of the rule, wears the shirt to school that day.
Do you:

A) Call the school and say that it is your child's constitutional right to wear whatever he/she wants.
B) Call the school and blame the principal for not adequately policing the far back corner of the parking lot.
C) Have a ""discussion" with your child about whether he/she has walking around sense.

C.

The schools my kids go to have full uniforms. I wouldn't have it any other way. Part of why they go there.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Not enough information.

What is the school's reaction? Did they ask her to change shirts, or some other intelligent reaction?
Or, do they suspend the poor girl out of some Zero Intelligence policy?

If the former, the answer is C. Learn the lesson.
If the latter, the answer is A and if this is DD #1, whose best friend's mother is an education attorney who formerly worked for the school district, DD#1 would be lawyered up before I could get to the school office to complain.

Edit to clarify: that is, DD #1 would've contacted her friend's mother who would be on the phone to the superintendents office before I would even know about it.

One time a teacher tried to coerce DD#1's class to attend a protest rally. I sent an email to the principal, but the principal had already gotten heat from downtown. Softball buddies looking out for each other.

Last edited:

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
C

get used to life...sometimes you don't get to wear what you want and do anything you want. Even if you feel YOU
should be able to wear it, school, work...whatever calls the shots. Not every rule needs to be challenged like they
are trying to take away your right to vote for heavens sake. Is it really that big of a deal not to wear the shirt
and abide by policy...really? I would have a gotten a foot up the azz if I bought a shirt I knew wasn't ok to wear in
school and did it anyway. Called common sense.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
Not enough information.

What is the school's reaction? Did they ask her to change shirts, or some other intelligent reaction?
Or, do they suspend the poor girl out of some Zero Intelligence policy?

If the former, the answer is C. Learn the lesson.
If the latter, the answer is A and if this is DD #1, whose best friend's mother is an education attorney who formerly worked for the school district, DD#1 would be lawyered up before I could get to the school office to complain.

Edit to clarify: that is, DD #1 would've contacted her friend's mother who would be on the phone to the superintendents office before I would even know about it.

One time a teacher tried to coerce DD#1's class to attend a protest rally. I sent an email to the principal, but the principal had already gotten heat from downtown. Softball buddies looking out for each other.

If it's against policy then the student was in the wrong. You can't show up to work on a Monday in tattered clothes when the dress code is suit and tie and expect to get paid for the day. I wouldn't be happy if my kid was suspended but there are rules in life and when broken there are repercussions. If your DD leaves early and the ump catchers her you can't sue even if it does cost you a National Title. Simple policy and simple corrective action.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Had a situation like this one when DD was in HS.

Dude wore a shirt that said "I love to get high" on the front. But here is the kicker, he's a cliff climber. On the back was his climbing team's logo and a list of cliffs climbed yada yada. School made him wear it inside out that day, and he wasn't allowed to wear it on school grounds again or face suspension. The father, who also climbs, was livid. Made a big stink to school officials and wrote several letters to the local paper. Funny thing is his son played football and baseball, the dad wore his "I love to get high" at every game I saw him attend, I guess as a statement.

So was the school justified, or gone overboard?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Had a situation like this one when DD was in HS.

Dude wore a shirt that said "I love to get high" on the front. But here is the kicker, he's a cliff climber. On the back was his climbing team's logo and a list of cliffs climbed yada yada. School made him wear it inside out that day, and he wasn't allowed to wear it on school grounds again or face suspension. The father, who also climbs, was livid. Made a big stink to school officials and wrote several letters to the local paper. Funny thing is his son played football and baseball, the dad wore his "I love to get high" at every game I saw him attend, I guess as a statement.

So was the school justified, or gone overboard?

No, the father and the son are idiots and in the wrong. They clearly and intentionally incited an incident and then had a hissy fit when they inevitably got called on it. I hate people who do this sort of garbage.

It is like the 8 year old who learns what you call a female dog and tries to justify to his parents why he can now say a word he knows he isn't allowed to.

BTW, the statement the father made is "I am a huge attention seeking idiot"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie