Parenting question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
No, the father and the son are idiots and in the wrong. They clearly and intentionally incited an incident and then had a hissy fit when they inevitably got called on it. I hate people who do this sort of garbage.

It is like the 8 year old who learns what you call a female dog and tries to justify to his parents why he can now say a word he knows he isn't allowed to.

BTW, the statement the father made is "I am a huge attention seeking idiot"

Perhaps to a point true. But often we jump to conclusions too fast. As a couple more examples, I've seen a shirt that says "I play dirty" on the front. ( Imagine the looks from parents at a TB tournament ) But on the back is some guy ripping though the mud on his 4 wheeler. I saw a kid wearing a shirt that says "I shoot first, ask questions later"............on the back is a person shooting a basketball from the 3 point line. Are they inappropriate, or only because we have passed judgement without knowing all the facts ( rear of the shirts )?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Perhaps to a point true. But often we jump to conclusions too fast. As a couple more examples, I've seen a shirt that says "I play dirty" on the front. ( Imagine the looks from parents at a TB tournament ) But on the back is some guy ripping though the mud on his 4 wheeler. I saw a kid wearing a shirt that says "I shoot first, ask questions later"............on the back is a person shooting a basketball from the 3 point line. Are they inappropriate, or only because we have passed judgement without knowing all the facts ( rear of the shirts )?

Depends where they are wearing them.

If you are intentionally wearing them somewhere you know there is going to be a problem, the problem is you, not the place that has a policy that says you can't.

I have no problem with the shirt - just with the decision of the people involved on when they decided to wear them.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Obviously the shirt was made to make people think of the other "getting high" as well.
It helps sells shirts to make the shirt more appealing...more than just saying, hey, I rock climb. In turn, if you are doing that, then face certain places that dont want that type of saying on clothing...especially in school. Its school...geez. They didnt suspend him or anything, just said take it off or reverse it and not wear it again...pretty reasonable. So then the dad
had to make a stink over a damn tshirt...haha...get a life.

And I agree, dont find it funny, the father seems like a "look at me ahole". I dont care what he wears to be honest, a shirt like that doesnt bother me. It would also not make me think he was some rebel or cool guy for wearing it to games. I would be like, get over it and move on tool.

All about where you wear them and if THEY are ok with it

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Depends where they are wearing them.

If you are intentionally wearing them somewhere you know there is going to be a problem, the problem is you, not the place that has a policy that says you can't.

I have no problem with the shirt - just with the decision of the people involved on when they decided to wear them.

But "what" would be the problem? It's only words describing your activity. High=climbing, shoot=basketball, dirty=mudding. Why would "where" you wear them change the meaning of the shirt?

And no, I'm not the cliff climbing dad, im afraid of heights and would pee my pants half way up. lol

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Yes I believe they call that marketing.

Of course, didnt really have to point out what its called. And again, no problem with it.
But when a place does have a problem...deal with it. You do the double references
to make a neat shirt and make people look and maybe buy one. But you also make
the powers at be look as well and say they dont think its appropriate.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
DD got in trouble at school once for wearing a Rugby shirt it was not a bad shirt, but could be miss read to be something ugly.

I took option C.

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
But "what" would be the problem? It's only words describing your activity. High=climbing, shoot=basketball, dirty=mudding. Why would "where" you wear them change the meaning of the shirt?

And no, I'm not the cliff climbing dad, im afraid of heights and would pee my pants half way up. lol

Clear innuendo/pun referring to drug use. Where ever you are wearing them you are not 'changing the meaning' - but it is where they wore them that was intentionally inflammatory.

Dec 7, 2011
So here's my real-life case:

DS #2 and his friend are walking home too late from talking with girls (they were supposed to be at a sleepover….). They get mugged at 15 yrs old by a fight-club group of about six 20+ year olds. In reaction to this he carried a pocket knife, unbeknownst to his mom & dad. One day not to long thereafter he unfortunately gets hauled down to the office with a couple other boys because one of them smelled like pot. (btw - this was not my son as I had him and his clothes tested). When down at the office DS#2 was told to empty his pockets. Out comes the pocket knife (4” long). The school district decides to expel him. (They do have a zero-tolerance policy to “weapons”). Note that DS#2 had zero discipline issues to that point.

How would you feel and what would you do as the parent?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors