Overworking the kids?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
How about some light jogging as a team before practice or game to get the large muscles warmed up and loose? My team normally does some running in two lines and chants loudly the whole time. If nothing else it builds team spirit and allows us coaches to set-up the different drill stations.

May 18, 2009
A trip around the field for warm up is great. Or run bases and practice sliding. Make it a competitive game for quickest time. I just don't understand running to make the kids drop. You should add a learning component into the exercise.

I watched a team run their girls between games in a tournament because the coach was angry his girls lost. It did nothing but add to their fatigue during a hot day.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I watched a team run their girls between games in a tournament because the coach was angry his girls lost. It did nothing but add to their fatigue during a hot day.

Yet another genius who doesn't understand the first thing about coaching girls. That may work with a football team. It doesn't work in fastpitch softball.

Jul 26, 2010
I just heard from another student of mine who is so stressed by her coaches' pressure laden tactics she wants to quit.

This is becoming an epidemic.

How about this? Would you yank a golfer off the fairway for shanking an iron shot into the lake, yell at him and make him run a lap around the lodge after the round? See how silly it sounds.

Most golfers I've seen could use a bit of cardio.

-W

May 5, 2008
I think part of it has to do with the intention.

If it occurs accidentally, that's different.

... so I gave it everything I had. Ran the four shuttles back and forth, ran through the finish and directly to a water fountain where I threw up. But that was self-induced as a result of effort. It wasn't like the teacher made me run endless shuttles until I threw up.

Softball is a game, and games are supposed to be fun. You have to know where the line is between working toward a goal and just being a jerk.

You're right. I don't think it's cool to want all your players throwing up. However, I DO think that there are many who will NEVER give everything they have like you to even come close to reaching that point and that frustrates me as a coach.

I'm not trying to make you throw up, but my goodness...push yourself to a level that would at least have potential to lead to throwing up.

Don't just get to a point where you are just starting to feel tired and you start toning it down already. It bothers me to see players do that....especially the ones that supposedly think they are part of "the best." Please...if you never push yourself beyond a little discomfort you will never be one of the best.

Jan 19, 2011
Anytime we run I run with them. When I tell them we're going to run a mile the first thing I hear is come on ole man lets go.....you got to love high school girls. For discipline, we run hills.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Funny how some people view that as a disciplined coach.
actually that coach lacks discipline. a disciplined approach would be to determine the weaknesses of the team and address those through practice.
Running to warm up is ok but 'Conditioning' doesn't work unless you are doing it at least 3x per week.

I find that 'running' in practice is one of the most misunderstood and mis-used elements of practice. Some coaches throw it in because they think it must be necessary.

At U12 typically there is never enough time to work on all the stuff we need let alone running.
basrunning is a different story - that can kill two birds with one stone. also learning running technique- a different story. Many girls need to learn the correct way to run. bigger girls can improve their speed with some not-difficult, dare I say ...fun drills.

we are there to play softball.

Sep 3, 2009
Running a mile, to be better at 60' ?? Uh, ok. It's one thing to take a quick run to the fence and back to warm the girls up; and get the blood flowing at the beginning of practice. Anything more than that is just wasted time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321