Overlap of level of play in NCAA divisions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
i've watched some games on ESPN+, lower level D1 games. That make me go "really??? This is D1 level ???".
This was my experience as well when watching ESPN+. The upper end of the P5 strata that we see on TV is another level altogether. When I hear "it was my DD's dream to play D1" and see where they end up going...ranked 291. But maybe that's the best fit for the family. Who knows?

ETA: Lots of great programs that offer great degrees that many snub their noses at. Dad is wearing the "D1 or Bust" T-shirt at the fields.

Delusional parent story. Kid on DD's 16U team was the 3rd catcher. I will give her props for being a very hard worker while dad wasn't berating in her the parking lot. He had expectations for her to perform higher than she had the physical ability. Family lived close to Huge school northwest of Houston. Dad would always say the college coach knows my kid by name. We see her at the store...blah blah. Total Homer. Years later I treated him like a rabid dog at the fields. Don't look him in the eyes! Fast Forward, I see a local town article showcasing this kid signing at a small Juco in Kansas or something like that. Dad is quoted, after she plays two years at that school she plans to transfer to play for Big U coach. What?

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
i've watched some games on ESPN+, lower level D1 games. That make me go "really??? This is D1 level ???".
Which can tend to over inflate batting/pitching averages on teams that play against the
'Really?' Category teams...
( in all categories really d2d3 Etc)

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
This was my experience as well when watching ESPN+. The upper end of the P5 strata that we see on TV is another level altogether. When I hear "it was my DD's dream to play D1" and see where they end up going...ranked 291. But maybe that's the best fit for the family. Who knows?

ETA: Lots of great programs that offer great degrees that many snub their noses at. Dad is wearing the "D1 or Bust" T-shirt at the fields.

Delusional parent story. Kid on DD's 16U team was the 3rd catcher. I will give her props for being a very hard worker while dad wasn't berating in her the parking lot. He had expectations for her to perform higher than she had the physical ability. Family lived close to Huge school northwest of Houston. Dad would always say the college coach knows my kid by name. We see her at the store...blah blah. Total Homer. Years later I treated him like a rabid dog at the fields. Don't look him in the eyes! Fast Forward, I see a local town article showcasing this kid signing at a small Juco in Kansas or something like that. Dad is quoted, after she plays two years at that school she plans to transfer to play for Big U coach. What?
It's a peculiar thing, foggy goggle syndrome or something?! When people don't have a more balanced perspective.

Kind of tough to see when a parent or travel ball coach doesn't recognize the flaw of a player they have on their team.
Not all players have enough self-awareness to recognize what they need to work on. So the coach or the parent can be critical as an influence.

Can appreciate a coach or parent want to promote the player on their team. Can appreciate they want to be supportive of the player on their team. But if they don't have a true clear perspective about level of productivity and then what the player needs to do to adjust their behavior and/or modify mechanics on the field to develop further.
Really can hold a player back unintentionally.

May 20, 2016
Think that people hear D1 and get all excited. Outside of P5 it's not much different generally than D2&3. Think people get wrapped up in softball a little too much. My DD had D1 schools interested in her. Not P5 teams but decent ones. She committed D3 to a very strong school because she doesn't want her college life to be just about softball. Since really there is no after college for softball so kind of a waste if you ask me. She made all her own decisions and i kept my mouth shut. Can tell you though she made the right decision.

Oct 26, 2019
Many years ago D1 schools used to play D3 schools quite often. Especially schools that were close geographically. I looked back at the Virginia Wesleyan baseball schedule from 1977-1985 out of curiosity. They played and beat William and Mary, Elon, Norfolk State, East Carolina, Virginia Commonwealth, Old Dominion, Coppin State, Rutgers, All D1 schools.

Prior to the internet D3 schools could get kids that D1’s missed on, especially local kids, because kids were under-exposed. In todays recruiting climate kids are over exposed so you see way fewer “misses” on recruits. No one is finding Nolan Ryan types throwing into the back of the barn on the family farm anymore.

Jun 8, 2016
Many years ago D1 schools used to play D3 schools quite often. Especially schools that were close geographically. I looked back at the Virginia Wesleyan baseball schedule from 1977-1985 out of curiosity. They played and beat William and Mary, Elon, Norfolk State, East Carolina, Virginia Commonwealth, Old Dominion, Coppin State, Rutgers, All D1 schools.

Prior to the internet D3 schools could get kids that D1’s missed on, especially local kids, because kids were under-exposed. In todays recruiting climate kids are over exposed so you see way fewer “misses” on recruits. No one is finding Nolan Ryan types throwing into the back of the barn on the family farm anymore.
Before Boston College went to the ACC, Tufts played them every year. Games were usually pretty close from what I can remember.

Oct 26, 2019
W
Before Boston College went to the ACC, Tufts played them every year. Games were usually pretty close from what I can remember.
We used to play Tufts at the beginning of every season. Good team. Their players said their game against us was their first time playing/practicing outside each year.

Jun 8, 2016
W

We used to play Tufts at the beginning of every season. Good team. Their players said their game against us was their first time playing/practicing outside each year.
Yes. Most of the time practice was indoors (at 6 am..) till we went down South (in vans..)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877