Overlap of level of play in NCAA divisions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 19, 2021
This is great. So many choices and levels of play at different sized schools.

As is, DD is going D1 mostly because she fell in love with the town and campus but also because the money there made sense. I had looked at D3 options for a while. She would likely be able to get in to a high academic D3 but our willingness to pay some of those obscene costs just isnt there.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
You are rating the D2 and D3 teams high.

I have some actual experience with this.

My DD's D3 hoop team (Hope College) won the NCAA title. In the preseason, her team played the team that won the D2 Hoop title (Grand Valley State). My DD's team got whooped by about 20...and this was a "friendly" game where GVSU eased up. The game was never close.

A top D3 team is about in the middle of D2 teams. A top D2 team is in the middle of the D1 teams.

Even a top D3 team would have little chances against all but the very worst D1 teams.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
Do you think that the top D2 Team (UT Tyler ??) can beat the 50th ranked team (Texas St in 2022)? To me, my gut says that the overlap should be a little less. But who knows!
For what it’s worth, the Massey matchup tool gives Tyler a %41 chance of winning with the most likely score being 4-3.

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
I have some actual experience with this.

My DD's D3 hoop team (Hope College) won the NCAA title. In the preseason, her team played the team that won the D2 Hoop title (Grand Valley State). My DD's team got whooped by about 20...and this was a "friendly" game where GVSU eased up. The game was never close.

A top D3 team is about in the middle of D2 teams. A top D2 team is in the middle of the D1 teams.

Even a top D3 team would have little chances against all but the very worst D1 team
According to Massey, 2022 D3 champions Hope would be the 290th best team in D1 out of 361 teams, so your observation and Massy are reasonably aligned.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi