Overlap of level of play in NCAA divisions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2018
Thanks LB, great chart. I love poking through the Massey ratings, especially now that DD is a sophomore and she needs to start targeting schools that are skill-appropriate for her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 19, 2021
Thanks LB, great chart. I love poking through the Massey ratings, especially now that DD is a sophomore and she needs to start targeting schools that are skill-appropriate for her.

Exactly. Waaaaay too many kids we know are targeting schools above their ability level. Our TB coaches were shaking their heads last year at the kids that had Oklahoma, Florida, etc on their target list.

Mar 8, 2016
DDs team is the D3 team at the top of the Massey chart. They were a very good team last year. They were the best hitting and pitching team last year according to Massey ratings. The past 2 falls they have scrimmaged 3 mid-tier d1 teams with winning records the previous year. They have "won" all 3 scrimmages. Now these scrimmages are nowhere near the same as a real 7 inning game with the top nine players playing all 7 innings. Last year I believe they could have competed with about half the d1 teams and most d2 teams. I also am lucky enough to watch VT softball regularly. DDs team would lose 99 out of 100 times to them.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
For further context, there are 27 D2 teams which have a rating equal or higher than the median team (151st in rating) in D1 (C. Mich) and 1 team in D3.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago

Do you have ANY idea how to figure out which schools are skill-appropriate?

That's a serious question. I have players who I believe are good enough to play somewhere. To take it to the extreme, they're better than (or at least will be, if they're still younger) than the very worst player on a college roster somewhere. Certain of that. But I have no idea AT ALL how to help guide them toward skill-appropriate schools. I know which schools are above their level because I see them on TV, but that's about where it ends.

Jun 8, 2016

That's a serious question. I have players who I believe are good enough to play somewhere. To take it to the extreme, they're better than (or at least will be, if they're still younger) than the very worst player on a college roster somewhere. Certain of that. But I have no idea AT ALL how to help guide them toward skill-appropriate schools. I know which schools are above their level because I see them on TV, but that's about where it ends.
Go watch some local D3/D2/NAIA games with them.

May 27, 2013
Tagging on to Pattar’s suggestion, if you’d like, get an ESPN+ subscription for the spring. You can watch so many D1 games that way - some of which are the mid-majors and lower level D1 teams. I think you’ll be surprised at what you’ll see. Can definitely see how there is an overlap of the other divisions with them.

IMHO, due to the transfer portal, you are also seeing some D1 talent now playing at the other levels because they are good players who want to make an impact from day 1 and not have to wait it out to see if a transfer comes in to compete for their position.

I also wonder if many of the higher-academic D3 schools and Ivies who have gone “test optional” since Covid now have more of a chance to get more talent through the admissions process which would help to push those teams’ competitiveness up?

ETA: Also - watching the bottom end of D3 play can be pretty rough. From what I’ve seen, most decent HS school teams could probably crush them. Just my experience of course, so take with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019
We had a kid on my team freshman year (nationally ranked D3) who was a decent pitcher. Probably our #4 or 5 and threw mostly relief. After freshman year, he moved back home to Saint Bonaventure, a small division 1 near Olean, NY. Snowy and cold. He was there number two pitcher. Geography plays a pretty big role in strength of some of the smaller division one teams, at least in baseball and softball.

I live in Virginia, where we have several strong Division III schools and many of their rosters are littered with kids from New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, etc. who wanted to come further south to play.

Jul 14, 2018

It’s mostly a process of elimination. I’m realistic about DD’s skill level (she is too). With roughly 1000 teams out there, I don’t imagine she’d be competitive in the top 400. Now, there are some schools that she’s interested in that have her program in the top 400. She considers those ‘reach’ schools who might take a flier on an RHP who can throw strikes in the high 50’s consistently.

But starting at teams ranked 400+, combined with schools that have her program in the geographic areas she’s interested in has helped to narrow her choices considerably.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad