Not again!!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
This is why most of my kids' teachers use Remind app. They just type in class code, and they get automated messages from teachers regarding assignments/tests. No exchange of phone numbers occurs. This makes it easy on teachers too...I doubt most teachers would want their cell numbers distributed to 100s of students! LOL!

You know what. I probably misunderstood my kid. That message was most likely through that Remind app you mentioned. She said her teacher texted her. My brain may have exploded when she said that and I didn't hear anything else she said after that. Facechat, Mybook, Snapspace, Twizzler, Klick, RemindU. How can I keep up with these apps? Thankfully our church hosts parental forums on these topics to help keep us aware of what's out there.

Jun 12, 2015
I work with a lot of people who do research for a lot of things - one who specializes in historical criminal statistics.

He told me that once you start digging you find that when you use the same criteria used today that there is really a lot less crime per capita than ever, but because of the way communication and reporting has changed, the awareness level is making it appear way worse.

It is now easier to hear about incidents and the awareness that are not local and social stigma of reporting crimes has also changed. So now people are more likely to report 'weird Uncle Creepy' instead of hiding it as a family secret or a social system is less likely to find ways to hide it, or it is no longer an open secret that people don't talk about - it still happens, but not how it used to.

As few as twenty years ago there would be no way we would have heard about either of these cases unless we were local to the incident and there is a higher probability that the crime itself would either never been discovered or reported.

He also found that for the same reasons some crimes are now 'bigger' and better organized for the same communication reasons - it is much easier for like people to communicate with other like them

I had reason (online debate...lol) to look up violent crime statistics recently. They are actually MUCH lower now than in 1993. But it definitely seems higher since we hear about EVERYTHING. The awareness is a bit of a double edged sword; it makes us really paranoid but I think it can help us keep our kids (and ourselves) safer.

This type of thing is very hard for me to relate to, because I don't think teenagers are remotely attractive. Some are certainly less annoying than others but overall, they're kind of a mess. Not because there's anything wrong with them, it's just the state of being a teenager. The idea of wanting anything other than a parental or role model kind of relationship with them is baffling. This guy had to be what, 30 years older than the girl? I didn't notice his age if it mentioned it but what on earth could someone see in someone that much younger? This coming from someone whose 69 year old dad is married to a 27 year old @@

Oct 2, 2015
This is why most of my kids' teachers use Remind app. They just type in class code, and they get automated messages from teachers regarding assignments/tests. No exchange of phone numbers occurs. This makes it easy on teachers too...I doubt most teachers would want their cell numbers distributed to 100s of students! LOL!

Remind is great app.
All of the parents on the HS fastpitch team are on it as well.
Any, and all updates are seen by all of those who are in that particular "Class", where the coach is sending out messages and info to the players.

Jun 12, 2015
Our team uses GroupMe. I don't love it personally but it seems like a really good alternative to texting players. I would not be happy with an adult male texting my much younger, minor child, in most cases. It really might be harmless, probably is 95% of the time. Still, there's that small percentage when it's not OK that makes us have to react.

Jun 16, 2015
I had reason (online debate...lol) to look up violent crime statistics recently. They are actually MUCH lower now than in 1993. But it definitely seems higher since we hear about EVERYTHING. The awareness is a bit of a double edged sword; it makes us really paranoid but I think it can help us keep our kids (and ourselves) safer.

This type of thing is very hard for me to relate to, because I don't think teenagers are remotely attractive. Some are certainly less annoying than others but overall, they're kind of a mess. Not because there's anything wrong with them, it's just the state of being a teenager. The idea of wanting anything other than a parental or role model kind of relationship with them is baffling. This guy had to be what, 30 years older than the girl? I didn't notice his age if it mentioned it but what on earth could someone see in someone that much younger? This coming from someone whose 69 year old dad is married to a 27 year old @@

With all due respect, it has NOTHING to do with finding teenagers attractive. And no age group is immune to these monsters. Google Devon Crosby for how she was groomed and preyed upon by her coach. You may *think* your older teen is too smart to have this happen to them, but these monsters are incredibly adept at grooming their targets. The sooner people realize that these monsters seek out roles in proximity to children (teachers, bus drivers, coaches, youth ministers), the better.

DISGUSTING.

Jun 12, 2015
That's my point, Shelbylynn. It's not something a normal man (or woman - it's not as common but women prey on teens as well) would do. They are aberrant, and criminals. And unfortunately, all too often difficult to identify.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
It seems more common than ever here. In Alabama we almost have an epidemic in our schools. I do feel it happened back in the day and know of a couple of cases where teens ended up marrying teachers after they graduated.

We just had a husband and wife arrested a couple of weeks ago. They were both coaches at the same school and had separate relationships with multiple different students.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
With all due respect, it has NOTHING to do with finding teenagers attractive.

Perhaps just semantics, but IMO, the 'phenomenon' of statutory rape might well have something to do with adults finding teenagers attractive. But, I agree that it's a mistake to dwell on that attraction, just as it's a mistake to think bank robbers commit crimes because they want money. They commit crimes because they are criminals.

I make this point only because I believe it's better to see these things as crimes and not perversions. Whether it's perverted is irrelevant, IMO. Thinking of it as a 'sickness' probably only gives false hope that somehow we can spot them more easily, as if their creepiness will give them away. I think it's more accurate and realistic to see these people as criminals. Their crime is not being attracted to teenagers. Their crime is their betrayal of trust and exploitation of people who are vulnerable because they have been taught to respect and obey adults.

That's my take, any how.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06