Proud but with a Degree of Melancholy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 17, 2018
Texas
My daughter has grown into a wonderful young lady and one that I am very proud of. She is starting her senior year in college. She has had a wonderful softball career from winning a national championship in travel ball, multiple state championships in high school ball and playing in the WCWS. She plays for a P5 program and has been named first team All Conference every year so far, been named an All American by the NFCA and been recognized as an Academic All American by CoSida and the NFCA. My wife and I have gotten so much joy from watching her play at every level. She is so smart and knows exactly what she wants to do when her playing days are over. As she starts her senior year, I am suffering a degree of melancholy knowing that it will all be over by the summer of 2020. No more watching her play. No more dinners with her and her teammates and their parents after home games. No more dinners and camaraderie with parents at away games. No more feeling the swell of pride as young girls, teenagers and parents ask your daughter for her autograph or to take a picture with them. It will all be over in 9 months or so. She has no desire to play pro ball and is ready to move to the next phase of her life when her playing days are over.

I am not sure if this is the proper forum for this post but my point is that time really does move by quickly, even more quicker than you think. Be sure to take lots of pictures of your child playing, of them in the dugout, of them with teammates and especially of you with them at the ball park. And above all else, be sure to tell them how much you love them. I know that I am really going to miss her playing in college just as I have missed her playing travel ball and playing high school ball.

Apr 25, 2019
Great post. Thank you for sharing. My DD is in her second year of 12u and it seems like just yesterday she was in her first year of 8u. I couldn't even imagine watching her last year of college ball.

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
Be sure to take lots of pictures of your child playing, of them in the dugout, of them with teammates and especially of you with them at the ball park.

After coaching my boys for over 8 years in baseball and having very few (if any) pictures I decided to take up photography. I am now the unofficial team photographer for my daughter's team. She is 14U but I have tons of pictures going back to 8U. As she is getting older my photography is getting better. I decided to not make the same mistake twice and not capture the journey. I often print pictures I really like and give them to her teammate(s) if they are in the picture too. I now buy frames in bulk (no joke). Pictures or it didn't happen.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My daughter has grown into a wonderful young lady and one that I am very proud of. She is starting her senior year in college. She has had a wonderful softball career from winning a national championship in travel ball, multiple state championships in high school ball and playing in the WCWS. She plays for a P5 program and has been named first team All Conference every year so far, been named an All American by the NFCA and been recognized as an Academic All American by CoSida and the NFCA. My wife and I have gotten so much joy from watching her play at every level. She is so smart and knows exactly what she wants to do when her playing days are over. As she starts her senior year, I am suffering a degree of melancholy knowing that it will all be over by the summer of 2020. No more watching her play. No more dinners with her and her teammates and their parents after home games. No more dinners and camaraderie with parents at away games. No more feeling the swell of pride as young girls, teenagers and parents ask your daughter for her autograph or to take a picture with them. It will all be over in 9 months or so. She has no desire to play pro ball and is ready to move to the next phase of her life when her playing days are over.

I am not sure if this is the proper forum for this post but my point is that time really does move by quickly, even more quicker than you think. Be sure to take lots of pictures of your child playing, of them in the dugout, of them with teammates and especially of you with them at the ball park. And above all else, be sure to tell them how much you love them. I know that I am really going to miss her playing in college just as I have missed her playing travel ball and playing high school ball.

Would you share her name, or at least her school? I would be very interested to follow her team's success this year.

Thanks for sharing your story with DFP. :)

Nov 18, 2013

Best of luck to your DD with her senior season! Love hearing about girls experiencing success in the classroom and on the field!

Mine graduated last spring. She was nowhere near the caliber of your kid, but she had a decent career. It goes by way too quick!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28