Not again!!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
I work with a lot of people who do research for a lot of things - one who specializes in historical criminal statistics.

He told me that once you start digging you find that when you use the same criteria used today that there is really a lot less crime per capita than ever, but because of the way communication and reporting has changed, the awareness level is making it appear way worse.

It is now easier to hear about incidents and the awareness that are not local and social stigma of reporting crimes has also changed. So now people are more likely to report 'weird Uncle Creepy' instead of hiding it as a family secret or a social system is less likely to find ways to hide it, or it is no longer an open secret that people don't talk about - it still happens, but not how it used to.

As few as twenty years ago there would be no way we would have heard about either of these cases unless we were local to the incident and there is a higher probability that the crime itself would either never been discovered or reported.

He also found that for the same reasons some crimes are now 'bigger' and better organized for the same communication reasons - it is much easier for like people to communicate with other like them

While, I agree with you. 7 coach, umpire, and teacher episdoes in the Houston area over the past few months still seems like a lot.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
While, I agree with you. 7 coach, umpire, and teacher episdoes in the Houston area over the past few months still seems like a lot.

When you raise awareness locally, people start looking out for the signs, people are more willing to report and you often see a rise in similar crimes locally. Or so I am told (by the same guy).

Man, being in research means you learn a lot of interesting things along with a a whole lot of worthless trivia. Mainly worthless trivia.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Gosh I don't know what to say. He was a respected coach and led his highschool to state championships. The players loved and respected him. This is going to have our softball community reeling, and parents' will be on even higher alert.

Good post. But what does being on even higher alert entail?

It also makes me feel like I should probably stay at every practice to make sure all is well.

How do you make sure all is well? What are you on the look out for?

When you raise awareness locally, people start looking out for the signs ...

What are the signs?

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
We had something similar to this happen in my state with the Jerry Sandusky scandal at Penn State with the football program. I don't know what goes through these sickos heads that makes it OK to do that to kids.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I might be nieve but 14U DD still talks to us so I am not to worried about most this stuff.

But the thing is that a lot of predators manage to coerce kids into thinking they're having a consensual relationship, that they're "in love," and no one will understand, so they need to keep it a secret. But it is child abuse, plain and simple.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
What has been bothering lately is that educators have WAY too much access to our kids. My DD rec'd a text from her Biology teacher the other day through a class group text. I'm like "Why is your Biology teacher texting you?" These teachers have access to our kids cell phone numbers and can easily get access to them through the various social media channels as well. Back in the day, to have a teacher reach out to a student was unheard of. Now the teachers are younger than ever and much hipper too. Seems like my teachers (80's) were elderly and very uncool....until I had Mrs. Stigman for English I & II my freshman year in college.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
What has been bothering lately is that educators have WAY too much access to our kids. My DD rec'd a text from her Biology teacher the other day through a class group text. I'm like "Why is your Biology teacher texting you?" These teachers have access to our kids cell phone numbers and can easily get access to them through the various social media channels as well. Back in the day, to have a teacher reach out to a student was unheard of. Now the teachers are younger than ever and much hipper too. Seems like my teachers (80's) were elderly and very uncool....until I had Mrs. Stigman for English I & II my freshman year in college.

This is why most of my kids' teachers use Remind app. They just type in class code, and they get automated messages from teachers regarding assignments/tests. No exchange of phone numbers occurs. This makes it easy on teachers too...I doubt most teachers would want their cell numbers distributed to 100s of students! LOL!

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD has been to school 2 days this year, long story.

Her teachers communicate via the touter and messages.

Best thing ever as far as I am concerned.

None of her teachers call her, it is all trackable.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06