No warmup!!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 28, 2012
Is just me or is it bad for my dd to be throwed in to pitch with no warmup prior to pitching. Just the five pitches prior to starting the inning? It can't be good I'm sure of that. Had a conversation with the coach about it after the game and that didn't go very well as I expected.

Aug 20, 2013
You will get lots of advice here from well seasoned folks. Yes they should warm up. The coach needs to understand that an injury is your permanent problem, not his. If they don't understand this, they shouldn't be coaching.

But I understand too not wanting to give up the opportunity to pitch. I faced a similar issue and started this thread. You might find some good info here. http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/16234-quickest-way-warm-up.html

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Many coaches come from boy's baseball, where if the young boy threw overhand to warm up, they are somewhat OK to pitch. Not so, in softball.

The coach at least needs to warm up all pitchers prior to the game, then again when on offense, as needed. Of course, accidents happen, but that is why you warm up prior to the game.

Good luck.

Mar 28, 2013
Once a coach tried putting DD in without a warm up, he called her into the circle and handed her the ball, she promptly handed it back was proud of her for telling the coach no way!. She is not willing to risk injury due to the coaches lack of preparation before the game. any coach should know better.

Is just me or is it bad for my dd to be throwed in to pitch with no warmup prior to pitching. Just the five pitches prior to starting the inning? It can't be good I'm sure of that. Had a conversation with the coach about it after the game and that didn't go very well as I expected.

Jul 26, 2010
Drives me crazy. It happens all the time. Sometimes the coach really doesn't have an option. Sadly, most coaches are still morons when they do it. It happened to my daughter in an 18g showcase this weekend. Put her in cold (she pitched a game that morning, about 3 hours earlier) and then called 5 different pitches in a row. If the coach is going to put them in with no or a short warmup, they should only expect 2 pitches to be thrown. The pitcher needs time to figure out how much their breaking pitches are breaking that day in order to know where to throw them. That's impossible to do in 5 pitches. And for the record, yes, she threw a hanging curve that must have looked like a beachball and gave up a triple on the second pitch.

-W

Jan 24, 2011
Are we talking beginning of an inning , mid inning , start of the game? Sometimes if the pitcher suddenly starts to go South and the next pitcher plays another position , there isn't much a coach can do. If it is at the beginning of an inning or game , then the coach is just a moron

Feb 7, 2013
All pitchers should be warmed up before they pitch so they don't get injured and they will pitch better. However I would not have approached the coach about this immediately after the game because emotions are running high. Most teams have a 24 hour rule before parents are allowed to discuss what happened during the game. I would try to calmly discuss this issue with the coach and in the future if he insists not to warm her up than you need to warm her up yourself before the game or between innings. It sounds like your DD is on a young team with volunteer coaches who are still learning how to coach. Offer to help them and warmup all the pitchers. The last thing you want to do is put the coach on the defensive because you may come across as a difficult parent and your DD may never see any time in the circle again.

May 17, 2012
I have seen pitchers in Championship games that didn't warmup prior to the game and didn't take warmup pitches between innings.

I also once saw the following:

1. Girl warmed up 45 minutes prior to first game of tournament;
2. Girl warmed up in bullpen as we were visitors and we were hitting first;
3. Girl threw 5-7 warmup pitches on mound when we took the field.

The girl was out of gas after two innings.

I just shook my head.

May 28, 2012
Are we talking beginning of an inning , mid inning , start of the game?

It was the beginning of the third inning. His response to me was its up to her to get herself warm. We are talking about an 11 year old girl. She found out after our third out. He comes in the dugout and told her to go pitch. After our conversation that turned into a good cussing( after he wanted to be a smart***) he called later to apologize. I know Im going to get it about not warming her up myself before the game but her team is kept after school to watch the varsity play. He keeps them off to the side with no parental contact until after they play. He doesn't even start the whole team warming up till the varsity is done playing and its time for us to play. The pitcher that is going to start might get 5 minutes.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I don't get it. I always warm up 2 pitchers before every game and depending on how the game is going I will have the other pitcher keep warm between innings (if she is playing another position in the field). I can't ever remember a time where I have put a pitcher in the circle cold. Dumb move coach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut