No warmup!!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2013
I have told my daughter when she pitches for other teams it's her responsibility to get warm. If no one is there to warm her up then she should do it herself. She can do "up together/down together" in her glove. She can take a bucket of balls and go throw in a fence. She can take a bucket of balls and just throw them.

Is it ideal, no, but at the end of the day it's her arm and her responsibility as a pitcher. This is why we practice 50 out of the 52 weeks of the year and she goes to pitching lessons.

My DD has missed, coin flips, pre-game infield practice, coaches speech before the game, soft-toss before the game, all because she was warming up.

Always be ready. No excuses.

I guess if you are playing for other teams and she does not mind being caught by a catcher who has never caught her before and getting used to her movement during the game that would work. You are correct I suppose you could grab a entire bucket of balls and throw into a fence.(assuming there is one).snapping into the mitt works if all you have is a fast ball Maybe. I guess for me it comes down to if its worth doing its worth doing right.

May 17, 2012
I guess if you are playing for other teams and she does not mind being caught by a catcher who has never caught her before and getting used to her movement during the game that would work. You are correct I suppose you could grab a entire bucket of balls and throw into a fence.(assuming there is one).snapping into the mitt works if all you have is a fast ball Maybe. I guess for me it comes down to if its worth doing its worth doing right.

I will take the high road here and just say my catchers have been coached properly on how to receive a pitcher and they do not need additional time to "get used" to pitchers. They are catchers, it's what they do.

I think it's safe to say we all agree that pitchers *should* be warmed up properly. There seems to be varying opinion on how much time is needed and how frequently. This seems to be dependent on the pitcher.

I would also think the game circumstances (bracket play on Sunday vs. one game during the week of school ball) would allow for more flexibility with regards to warming up.

Mar 28, 2013
I will take the high road here and just say my catchers have been coached properly on how to receive a pitcher and they do not need additional time to "get used" to pitchers. They are catchers, it's what they do.

Explains allot.

May 28, 2012
If it matters the outing was 3 up 3 down. This was never a discussion about performance, it was about risking injury to my DD. My DD found out she was pitching when she was in the hole to bat. She ended up getting stranded on 2nd when the third out was made. She has been pitching about 6 months and wouldn't turn down circle time. The situation was going into the top of the third losing 3-2.

May 25, 2010
If she's warmed up before the game and has been in the game, she should be fine. She might have to face a few batters before finding her groove, but there's probably a greater risk of her being knocked around a bit by quality hitters than there is for injury.

I want my DD to know if she'll be pitching the next inning, but she knows she has to go out and perform whenever she gets the call.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
- insidepitch - this statement is shocking coming from a parent of a pitcher "it might not be the best of situations but if your kid warmed up with overhand, she is warmed up. I see a molehill while to many see a mountain."

Yes, I'm a bad parent. It's because I all to well remember the age, ability and likelyhood of her throwing hard enough to physically injure herself. It's not like she didn't physically warm up before the game. I'd be concerned she couldn't hit the side of a barn but not that she was going to get hurt.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1