No warmup!!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 28, 2012
All pitchers should be warmed up before they pitch so they don't get injured and they will pitch better. However I would not have approached the coach about this immediately after the game because emotions are running high. Most teams have a 24 hour rule before parents are allowed to discuss what happened during the game. I would try to calmly discuss this issue with the coach and in the future if he insists not to warm her up than you need to warm her up yourself before the game or between innings. It sounds like your DD is on a young team with volunteer coaches who are still learning how to coach. Offer to help them and warmup all the pitchers. The last thing you want to do is put the coach on the defensive because you may come across as a difficult parent and your DD may never see any time in the circle again.
It is a middle school team. If it was her travel team I would have waited the 24 hours. It wasn't the first time it happened but I'll bet you its the last. If I believed in quitting she wouldn't play for him again but I don't. Only 3 more games to go.

Oct 22, 2009
I've actually seen a girl drop on the mound screaming in pain after being put in without a warm up, it was horrible.

Nov 2, 2012
You guys all seem to be whining! How many of you coach for real in real game situations? Don't get me wrong warm up is important, but sometimes the wheels come of the cart quickly. Sometimes plans change and situations dictate a different move. If a coach consistently does this then there is a problem, but once in a while your kid might have to suck it up....

Feb 7, 2013
It is a middle school team. If it was her travel team I would have waited the 24 hours. It wasn't the first time it happened but I'll bet you its the last. If I believed in quitting she wouldn't play for him again but I don't. Only 3 more games to go.

It sounds like there is a long history with this coach and you don't seem too happy with him. I understand how it's frustrating for the coaches to not be warming up pitchers but by middle school the pitchers need to take charge and make sure that they warm up whether or not the coaches work with them. Nothing wrong with your DD pulling the catcher aside and asking her to catch her for a few minutes to get loose. I would expect that from a pitcher who has been pitching for several years. Otherwise you are playing victim and are being setup for failure. Likely more to the story than just not warming up a pitcher occasionally would be my guess.

May 28, 2012
P.S. And who cussed? Not the coach I hope. But no way a parent is supposed to be the on handling any warm ups or practices on school grounds during the normal hours. That is expressly prohibited at schools. Coaches also have job descriptions and they are 100% responsible for initiating warm up, not the kids.

He started cussing. So I come back at him. I would be more than happy to warm up any of the pitchers, not just my dd and have even offered to do so.

May 28, 2012
You guys all seem to be whining! How many of you coach for real in real game situations? Don't get me wrong warm up is important, but sometimes the wheels come of the cart quickly. Sometimes plans change and situations dictate a different move. If a coach consistently does this then there is a problem, but once in a while your kid might have to suck it up....

It sounds like you are talking out of your ear! Yes I have coached in real game situations and would still if my work schedule didnt interfere. Having even offered to help this guy on my free time. My dd did suck it up. 3 up, 3 down. Never was a question of balls and strikes, it was a question of health.

May 28, 2012
It sounds like there is a long history with this coach and you don't seem too happy with him. I understand how it's frustrating for the coaches to not be warming up pitchers but by middle school the pitchers need to take charge and make sure that they warm up whether or not the coaches work with them. Nothing wrong with your DD pulling the catcher aside and asking her to catch her for a few minutes to get loose. I would expect that from a pitcher who has been pitching for several years. Otherwise you are playing victim and are being setup for failure. Likely more to the story than just not warming up a pitcher occasionally would be my guess.

No history what so ever. He was just hired this year to be the AD-basketball coach- softball coach. I might not agree with not cutting girls at tryouts, playing everyone every game or his lack of softball knowledge cause he is the coach not me but when you consistantly do things to endanger the health of my DD or any other, I will question that every time.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I would have no problem quitting at all, if DD wanted to. Cussing you is never appropriate. And this guy is the AD? I am finding more reasons to home school, every day.

May 28, 2012
I would have no problem quitting at all, if DD wanted to. Cussing you is never appropriate. And this guy is the AD? I am finding more reasons to home school, every day.

3 more games. She said she would finish the season. What is funny is this is a private christian school.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunny 321commission