Covid-19 Fallout with the NCAA?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I received this from the NFCA Thursday I believe.

Division I Coaches,

I know it has been a busy week already, but I wanted to take the time to share some important information with you from the NFCA office.

As you may be aware, last week the Group of Five Conference Commissioners submitted a waiver to the NCAA regarding financial relief during this time, including the ability to change current membership minimums needed to be considered for Division I status. Membership requirements include many components, but the one that is of primary concern, is waiving the sports sponsorship minimum that is presently 16. Reduction of this would give schools a "carte blanche" opportunity to cut sports.

The NFCA, through our participation in the Intercollegiate Coach Association Coalition (ICAC), has opposed this waiver in an effort to show support and solidarity for all NCAA and University sponsored sports. We are not looking to spark fear in student-athletes who are already managing a stressful time period, but instead to give strength to fellow coaches during this time. Quite simply, we do not believe in limiting the participation opportunities of any student-athletes.

Last night a national "Save College Sports" campaign was launched on the Save College Sports website. The site includes communication to NCAA administrators, an open letter to the public, and the opportunity to sign a support petition. The purpose of this campaign is to draw attention to a proposal that could change intercollegiate athletics dramatically and do so before many people even realize that it is being discussed. The NCAA Division I committee and council meetings start today and are being held through next week when the NCAA Board of Directors meet. We fully expect the Group of Five relief waiver to be discussed during this time.

How can you help?

• Educate yourself by visiting the website and reading the open letter and the letter to the Division I Council
  • Sign the petition if you feel comfortable doing so
  • Share this information with your players, alumnae, and fans
  • Talk to your campus and conference administrators to voice your opinion
  • Reach out to the other coaches on your campus to make sure they are aware and engaged

If you have questions about this issue, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Carol Bruggeman

Mar 10, 2020
The colleges have to work with a budget unfortunet but so. Opposition not really. More like #gofundme. Puts a log on the fire.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13