No Fall Recruiting?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
I think the point is the pitchers are coming to them already broken from travel. But, I get what you're saying. I would venture a guess to say they played the fewest innings of any team in the WCWS due to all of their mercy wins.
I was just kidding with regards to Rocha not having good advice for the masses.

With regards to OU’s innings definitely the least by a large margin I would guess. I think Gasso actually mentioned that Bahl had actually not thrown enough in games and her injury was partly due to not being in good enough “game shape”..

With regards to TB pitchers and innings, I would venture to guess that if most teams actually used all their pitchers sufficiently, and not just the ones they think will give the best shot of getting into the championship game, it wouldn’t be as big a deal. How many pitchers were on your DD’s team and how did the inning percentage breakdown in the Fall?

That said changing that win at all cost mentality ain’t happening so somebody needs to be the adult in the room I guess. Kind of ironic though since a lot of these coaches are probably the same ones who pitched their ace every game back before Staffs became a thing in college..

Last edited:

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I was just kidding with regards to Rocha not having good advice for the masses.

With regards to OU’s innings definitely the least by a large margin I would guess. I think Gasso actually mentioned that Bahl had actually not thrown enough in games and her injury was partly due to not being in good enough “game shape”..

With regards to TB pitchers and innings, I would venture to guess that if most teams actually used all their pitchers sufficiently, and not just the ones they think will give the best shot of getting into the championship game, it wouldn’t be as big a deal. How many pitchers were on your DD’s team and how did the inning percentage breakdown in the Fall?

That said changing that win at all cost mentality ain’t happening so somebody needs to be the adult in the room I guess. Kind of ironic though since a lot of these coaches are probably the same ones who pitched their ace every game back before Staffs became a thing in college..
We only had two full-time pitchers on our team, but we had a rotation of guest players all season long. The highest percentage of IP was 37%. My daughter was at 32% for the fall. We did play on a team over the summer where the HC pitched one girl in three games and had her throw 208 pitches in one day.

It's so different in baseball, even at the youth levels. Pitch counts, mandatory days off, arm care, etc. Crazy workloads in baseball are just not a thing.

Oct 26, 2019
We only had two full-time pitchers on our team, but we had a rotation of guest players all season long. The highest percentage of IP was 37%. My daughter was at 32% for the fall. We did play on a team over the summer where the HC pitched one girl in three games and had her throw 208 pitches in one day.

It's so different in baseball, even at the youth levels. Pitch counts, mandatory days off, arm care, etc. Crazy workloads in baseball are just not a thing.
I wouldn’t say they aren’t a thing in baseball. Travel baseball has no pitch counts that I am aware of. Little league and most HS does, but not travel. I see kids going 100+ in travel baseball all the time.

Dec 19, 2021
I doubt it will dial back the crazy TB coaches and parents. DD2's team pitches their #1 64% of the innings. They are first year 14u with NO shot at winning a tourney. But that #1 is always in there even to win pool games. Then her arm barely lasts a full game on Sunday.

I WILL say it would be nice to have a calmer fall. DD1's team squeezed 5 tournaments into the 6 week fall recruiting window. They took more than a month and a half off before that though.

Sep 3, 2015
DD was on a team where they would have rode her into the ground because she was basically the only “good” pitcher.

Needless to say, we left that team (14U).

Word to the wise:

If you are a good pitcher, go to a team that has good pitching. Good teams have plenty of innings to go around, and there’s nothing wrong with being 1B if you aren’t 1A. If you have a different pitching style, then even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2011
I WILL say it would be nice to have a calmer fall. DD1's team squeezed 5 tournaments into the 6 week fall recruiting window. They took more than a month and a half off before that though.
Friend's DD didn't start their fall tournaments until Oct 15th and I was confused why they started so late. Didn't realized D1 coaches couldn't watch tournaments until then.

DD's team had one of their fall pitchers drop off the team because they wanted to play HS Field Hockey, leaving them with two healthy pitchers and one coming back from an injury, so was on very limited innings. One of the two pitchers caught Covid just before the last showcase, so they played 4 games and forfeited the 5th game.

DW wanted to go back East to visit family for Thanksgiving, so we almost wound up flying from Nor Cal to LA to NY for the three of us. Unfortunately, DD got a concussion the first weekend in October and still hasn't been fully cleared to play in a game, so we wound up staying home.

I've always thought it was crazy to be playing softball after the time changes in November.

May 13, 2021
So we have come to the point where the college coaches are the ones more concerned about the health of the girls, than there parents or TB coaches. These girls are pitching faster and faster at younger and younger ages this in of itself creates more injuries. Yet none of the organizations other than LL Softball has any pitch count rules that I know of. When they all should have them if people really cared.

Dec 11, 2010
So we have come to the point where the college coaches are the ones more concerned about the health of the girls, than there parents or TB coaches.
They don’t care.

They will pitch a girl until her arm falls off. Usually around their junior year.

Patrick Murphy admits he did it and supposedly turned over a new leaf.

All college coaches want is healthier freshmen that will take longer to destroy.

Pitch counts in youth softball might lead to more pitchers pitching which would be good for the game.

Jun 20, 2015
i'm sure with transfer portal and NIL, more and more D1 programs will change the way they operate. BUT there are still plenty of opportunities for D2, D3, NAIA, etc.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01