No batter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 26, 2014
Ok, I got a question about something that happened in my game last night. Here is the situation, the current batter gets walked and she takes her place on first. There is some confusion in the dugout and the next batter is not ready. After about maybe 30 seconds of waiting, the umpire says we need a batter. After maybe an additional 10 to 15 seconds, he points at the pitcher and tells her to pitch with the batter still in the dugout. The pitcher throws three quick pitches, all three were called strikes. By the time the batter gets out there she is already struck out. My question is this, Is this an actual rule? If so, can someone give the section it falls under. Also, I have a question about the pitches. Are they to be called as normal, or are they automatically called strikes no matter where they are? This is Little League Minors, 9-10 yo division, if that info is needed. Thanks for any help.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I have seen it called in baseball. But, I certainly don't know about LL softball. Anyway, in MLB (if I recall), the pitches may also be called balls.

I hope someone has your answer.

Jun 22, 2008
No idea about little league rules but under asa the batter has 10 seconds to take position if not a penalty strike can be called. After 10 more seconds another may be called etc. No pitch has to be thrown

Mar 26, 2014
I have seen it called in baseball. But, I certainly don't know about LL softball. Anyway, in MLB (if I recall), the pitches may also be called balls.

I hope someone has your answer.
I have seen it called in baseball too, but just one pitch was thrown and then the batter was ready and came out on the field. I just didn't know if the rule was the same in softball. That is my biggest complaint about the situation, none of the three pitches thrown would have been strikes if the batter was standing in the batters box.

No idea about little league rules but under asa the batter has 10 seconds to take position if not a penalty strike can be called. After 10 more seconds another may be called etc. No pitch has to be thrown
Little League has a similar rule. It says: If a batter refuses to take position in the batters box during a time at bat, the umpire shall call a strike on the batter without the need for a pitch to be delivered.
In my opinion that rule does not pertain to this situation because the batter didn't refuse to step in the batters box. Confusion on the batting order and who was next to bat is what caused it.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
LL Rule 6.02 covers this...

a) says that a batter must promptly take position when it is their turn to bat (no definition of timely but it seems like he gave plenty of time and warning)
c) says that if the batter refuses to be in position in the batter box ( (which not being present clearly is the case) during a time to bat the umpire may call a strike WITHOUT a pitch being delivered (and ball is dead so runners cannot advance). If the batter is continues to not take their position then he can continue to call strikes until the batter is out.

Note - there is no specific time defined - just 'promptly'. That is up to the umpire discretion. 45 seconds is a LONG time - and if she struck out after three pitchers that must be at LEAST a minute if not more. Normally I'd say the umpire was being a bit antagonistic for Minors LL rec, but 45 seconds is a really long time to be waiting for a batter even in a Minors/10U game.

The only thing really wrong he did was make the pitcher actually throw a pitch. He should have just called a strike. Waited a few seconds and then called another and another until she was out. Otherwise yes this is a rule and yes the batter is out.

(Note I am looking at the 2012 rule book as it is the one I have easy at hand to reach).

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I have seen it called in baseball too, but just one pitch was thrown and then the batter was ready and came out on the field. I just didn't know if the rule was the same in softball. That is my biggest complaint about the situation, none of the three pitches thrown would have been strikes if the batter was standing in the batters box.

Little League has a similar rule. It says: If a batter refuses to take position in the batters box during a time at bat, the umpire shall call a strike on the batter without the need for a pitch to be delivered.
In my opinion that rule does not pertain to this situation because the batter didn't refuse to step in the batters box. Confusion on the batting order and who was next to bat is what caused it.

Staying in the dugout or not being on the field is CLEARLY refusing to be at bat. The lineups are drawn up and provided to both teams and umps before the game. Not much confusion there - Sally follows Susie all game long. Not the umpires issue - getting the batter up to bat is the team responsibility.

If the coaches don't have a board posted with the line up, or often in this division some team mom yelling out who is next... or a scorekeeper who knows who follows who, that is hardly the umpires fault.

Mar 26, 2014
Staying in the dugout or not being on the field is CLEARLY refusing to be at bat. The lineups are drawn up and provided to both teams and umps before the game. Not much confusion there - Sally follows Susie all game long. Not the umpires issue - getting the batter up to bat is the team responsibility.

If the coaches don't have a board posted with the line up, or often in this division some team mom yelling out who is next... or a scorekeeper who knows who follows who, that is hardly the umpires fault.
In your first post you are referencing the same rule I am, and I am using the 2013 rule book. The issue I have with that rule though is the word "refuses". The batter wasn't refusing to do anything, like I said a miscommunication lead to this. Yes I know it is the team responsibility to get the correct batter up to the plate and in a timely batter, the manager took full responsibility for the incident. In my opinion, this is one of those rules that can be interpreted differently by multiple people. Second I was simply asking for a rule for this and the section it could be found. Nowhere in my post did I say it was the umpires fault or try to blame the umpire for anything, so please try and refrain from making it seem like I did.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Don't focus on the single word "refuses". The intent of the rule is for a batter to be in the box when requested by the umpire. She either is or she isn't. In this example, she wasn't.

Mar 26, 2014
Don't focus on the single word "refuses". The intent of the rule is for a batter to be in the box when requested by the umpire. She either is or she isn't. In this example, she wasn't.
I see what you are saying and I am not trying say you are wrong, so please don't take it that way. But in my opinion, the word "refuse" should be taken out.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I see what you are saying and I am not trying say you are wrong, so please don't take it that way. But in my opinion, the word "refuse" should be taken out.

No, it doesn't. It is the batter's responsibility to be in the batter's box when directed. By not meeting that responsibility, the batter is, in fact, refusing to participate.

You can try to justify it all you want, the rule is fine. Sounds like you are just looking for an excuse.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877