New rule proposal!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
He could have bat .600 against the shift.
I cant tell you how many times I have seen teams get killed on the shift. Last night the Dbacks got burned twice playing a defensive shift that would have been outs if they had been in standard fielding positions. And if you are going to shift to the right on a lefty, you darn well dont pitch on the outside corner which is exactly what they did both times.

Apr 14, 2022
Didnt watch entire video, but up to half way these are all slap hits.

I did not watch entire video just to the middle. I was not questioning slaps like this were they continue through the ball. (All I saw on video). Slaps were the bat stops prior to or at contact and are just stabbing and tapping the ball.

May 13, 2023
I did not watch entire video just to the middle. I was not questioning slaps like this were they continue through the ball. (All I saw on video).

Slaps were the bat stops prior to or at contact and are just stabbing and tapping the ball.
Your own words describe the difference of the bats approach on the ball which describes a bunt.
And calling it slaps.
Maybe you are confusing the footwork thinking that is always a slap because of the mechanical footwork 🤷‍♀️

Run and bunt is a real thing!

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022
Are there times when you yourself see a distinct difference in the forward motion of the bat?
Its point of driving forward across and in front of the plate?
Or
when it stops driving force?

Or
➡️Are you only looking at this of how the mechanics are handling the bat?

If you are commenting about mechanics in your perspective and that's only what you are interpreting... then can understand why you are not differentiating bunt or slap. Because the mechanics of how the body moves may be similar.

However, the mechanics and force of how those mechanics are implemented
Can and do have difference of application/results.
If you watch the video, the bat is driven forward. If you took everything out of the video but the bat, that bat movement is from the shoulders down and forward to the ball.

Everyone seems to agree that is a bunt (I do too). If I was better at video I would overlay the 2.

Apr 14, 2022
Even in your own words you describe the difference of the bats approach on the ball which describes a bunt.
And calling it slaps.
Maybe you are confusing the footwork thinking that is always a slap because of the mechanical footwork 🤷‍♀️

Run and bunt is a real thing!
I used slap tongue in cheek. To me it is often a bunt.
Footwork does not matter. I find that often times umpires call whatever a slapper does to be ruled a swing. When if you actually watch the bat the motion of the bat it is often is pretty much the same as a bunt.

Apr 14, 2022
And these are all bunts. As I have already said, hand position has nothing to do with it being a bunt or not. It has to do with the batters actions with the bat, are they swinging or are they attempting to just tap the ball softly? Now, I will say there are umpires out there that believe anything a slapper does is a slap and not a bunt, but that is not true.

I agree 100%.

May 29, 2015
Not that we can really quantify or capture this while calling a game, nor am I proposing this as a definition, but a swing has angular velocity, a bunt has linear velocity.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles