No batter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 15, 2014
The pitcher throws three quick pitches, all three were called strikes.

Throwing the pitches was not necessary.
Calling three strikes in rapid secession, IMHO, violates the spirit of the rule.

Mar 26, 2014
No, it doesn't. It is the batter's responsibility to be in the batter's box when directed. By not meeting that responsibility, the batter is, in fact, refusing to participate.

You can try to justify it all you want, the rule is fine. Sounds like you are just looking for an excuse.
So you were there and know what was going on in the dugout? Since the answer is no to that question, I will let you know what was going on. A girl got hit in the head with a ball and was complaining of a headache. She was being checked for concussion like symptoms. So between having an extra adult in the dugout, a nurse checking on the girl who got hit. The manager himself trying to make sure she was alright. Trying to keep her teammates, who were concerned about her, away from her. Then trying to keep the girls in order and and ready to bat. Like I said, confusion in the dugout. I didn't think I needed to put all that out there since it really had nothing to do with the question I was asking. I thought just saying confusion in the dugout would be fine, I guess that isn't good enough for some of you. No one is making excuses, the Manager and myself, even though I was over on third base at the time, take full responsibility for the situation. We could have handled it better and all of us are using it as a learning experience. Although I am sure you will just say I am trying to make another excuse. I am simply asking a question about a rule. When I run into a rule I don't know or don't understand, I like to read it or ask about it and highlight it in the rule book. That way if it happens again I know the rule and can find it quickly if challenged by another coach or the umpire, just what I like to do. I don't know why a couple of you are trying to make it seem I am blaming the umpire or trying to make excuses, that is not the case at all. I am just trying to get a better knowledge of the rules since I am still fairly new to softball.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

Calling three strikes in rapid secession, IMHO, violates the spirit of the rule.

I agree with this. IMO, the umpiring should be a little more relaxed at 10u LL than at 14u Nationals, but after a certain time passes strike one should be called. 10-15 more seconds call strike two, etc.

Mar 2, 2013
In future cases, I alert the umpire as to what is going on. If he still has a problem with it, use an offensive conference if you have one left. It seems like this umpire is a bit of a jackass. What he did is not in the spirit of the rule. It also wasn't accurately enforced.

It takes a real tough guy to call a 9 year old out on strikes when she's sitting in the dugout

Mar 26, 2014
Thank you to everyone for the help. It does sound like that no pitches should have been thrown, just automatic strikes called. During the game I agreed with what was going on because I thought that was the rule. Then after the game a parent asked me what happened because they didn't understand and they had never seen that happen. I basically told that is how it works and it was the correct call. Then out of curiosity I decided to look up the rule and when I saw no pitches were to be thrown, I decided to come on here and ask the question. I admit I did let one word throw me, but again thanks for the help.

Mar 26, 2014
use an offensive conference if you have one left.
That is one of the things we learned from this. Use a timeout/conference, if for no other reason than to buy some more time.

It seems like this umpire is a bit of a jackass. What he did is not in the spirit of the rule. It also wasn't accurately enforced.

It takes a real tough guy to call a 9 year old out on strikes when she's sitting in the dugout
Yeah we won't go there, but yes, lol. I am not saying on this call, because at the time I agreed and thought it was correct. But he has made other incorrect calls that he should have known were not right.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Amazing that people expect Major League level umpiring at little kid level ballgames.

More often than not, the umpires working games at the least experienced levels will be the least experienced umpires. They're going to make mistakes at about the same rate the inexperienced players and coaches do.

This "automatic strike" rule is one that I often see beginning umpires focus on too much. Yes, it really is a rule, but it should be saved as a last resort, game management tool, not a "gotcha!" for the mean old umpire and bang out little kids that don't know any better.

If there's some unusual delay going on, the umpire should try to find out what's up. Just walk over to the dugout and ask, "What's the problem, Coach?", before ringing up strikes. There might be a legitimate reason for the delay, like an injury issue or equipment problem. You can treat that differently than a case of good old fashioned lollygagging. I hate lollygagging! Save it for uncalled for delays in the game, and maybe then only after issuing a warning.

But inexperienced umpires don't always get that. When they first hear that there's a rule where they can automatically call strikes- without a pitch even being thrown!- their eyes light up and they start to drool. They're just itching to call that one and will pull it out the first chance they get.

In high school baseball there's an odd set of circumstances where the umpire can call TWO strikes on one pitch. When the rookies hear about that one, they just about wet themselves!

Feb 3, 2011

What - in your opinion - is the spirit of the rule?

The umpire isn't going to call a silent strike. It will be signaled. The offensive team can then choose to either send a batter to the plate or choose not to.

But under those circumstances in a 10u rec game, I agree that the umpire should've taken or granted a brief timeout.

May 30, 2011
The "spirit of the rule" is to keep the game moving. There should not be a long pause while we wait for offensive team to figure out who is at bat. Occationally might be a little confusion with first batter of a half-inning but in the OP a batter had walked. The next batter had the time it took to deliver at least four pitches. She should have long since been in the on-deck circle and ready to come to the plate.

Waiting 30 secs absent of some reason for the delay (equipment, injury, etc.) is WAY to long to wait for the next batter. The PU made a point to call for the batter. Yes he made F1 pitch which in softball is unnecesary. But calling a penatly strike seems correct in this senario.

Now after the first penalty strike is called the clock starts over again before another is called. Usually one is enough, this will get action from the team at bat. But assuming it did not the umpire should wait another ten seconds before calling another penalty strike. Probably calling three strikes was overkill of this rule. I don't believe in 16 seasons I have ever needed to call more than one.

I agree this rule should not be used as a "gotcha" strike and I am not looking for a way to strike out a young player who is clue free. But her coach should have a clue if no one else does and at some point if we are all standing around waiting a strike should be called.

Re the word "refuses" found in the LL rule set i agree that may not be the best word choice. But as mentioned above if PU is asking for a batter and getting no response and no batter from the offensive team then somebody is "refusing" to come to bat. The fact that this is becase of mass confusion in the dugout does not matter. I notice in the ASA and NFHS rules books the wording is slightly different, just says "fails to promptly take her position". I don't do LL but I am assuming the intent is the same, to not have a delay of the game between batters.

Mar 15, 2014
So you were there and know what was going on in the dugout? Since the answer is no to that question, I will let you know what was going on. A girl got hit in the head with a ball and was complaining of a headache. She was being checked for concussion like symptoms. So between having an extra adult in the dugout, a nurse checking on the girl who got hit. The manager himself trying to make sure she was alright. Trying to keep her teammates, who were concerned about her, away from her. Then trying to keep the girls in order and and ready to bat. Like I said, confusion in the dugout. I didn't think I needed to put all that out there since it really had nothing to do with the question I was asking. I thought just saying confusion in the dugout would be fine, I guess that isn't good enough for some of you. No one is making excuses, the Manager and myself, even though I was over on third base at the time, take full responsibility for the situation. We could have handled it better and all of us are using it as a learning experience. Although I am sure you will just say I am trying to make another excuse. I am simply asking a question about a rule. When I run into a rule I don't know or don't understand, I like to read it or ask about it and highlight it in the rule book. That way if it happens again I know the rule and can find it quickly if challenged by another coach or the umpire, just what I like to do. I don't know why a couple of you are trying to make it seem I am blaming the umpire or trying to make excuses, that is not the case at all. I am just trying to get a better knowledge of the rules since I am still fairly new to softball.

Tell the umpire that the game is being halted due to a possible concussion and medical attention is being administered.
(You did leave this important detail out of your OP)
If he starts calling automatic strikes--and only a total moron would do so-- tell him to credit the other team with a forfeit and then file a protest with the league.
Also file a complaint with his assignor.
Safety of your players is more important than any softball game or dealing with an arrogant official.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1