Newbie pitcher video

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Got it to work on my DD's iTouch. Hard to tell from the distance and the front. Looked like it was coming in hot!

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
Its been quiet awhile since our last video post. We have been pitching about every third day. Basketball practice/games have been interupting!! Anyway, my DD has developed this "anchoring" of the drag foot and I cannot figure out why.........It seems like she has too much front side resistance (if that is even possible) and it is causing her drag foot not to be able to come forward. Also, it seems like she is not landing at a 45 degree angle with the plant foot but at more of a 90 degree angle. A couple of questions.....is the plant leg supposed to be slightly bent upon landing (because hers is not most of the time), will landing at a 90 inhibit the stride foot from coming forward? Below are a couple of videos.....one is her "anchoring" the stride foot one one of her bringing the stride foot forward with a mule kick. I cannot tell if the plant legs are any different in either of the videos. Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. As for IR versus HE, I think it is coming around!! She is throwing harder and more consistent......Thanks!

12713LP1 - YouTube

12713LP - YouTube

Jun 24, 2009
Its been quiet awhile since our last video post. We have been pitching about every third day. Basketball practice/games have been interupting!! Anyway, my DD has developed this "anchoring" of the drag foot and I cannot figure out why.........It seems like she has too much front side resistance (if that is even possible) and it is causing her drag foot not to be able to come forward. Also, it seems like she is not landing at a 45 degree angle with the plant foot but at more of a 90 degree angle. A couple of questions.....is the plant leg supposed to be slightly bent upon landing (because hers is not most of the time), will landing at a 90 inhibit the stride foot from coming forward? Below are a couple of videos.....one is her "anchoring" the stride foot one one of her bringing the stride foot forward with a mule kick. I cannot tell if the plant legs are any different in either of the videos. Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. As for IR versus HE, I think it is coming around!! She is throwing harder and more consistent......Thanks!

12713LP1 - YouTube

12713LP - YouTube

I think she had a pretty good leap and drag in the first video you posted of your DD.The toes on her drag foot stayed mostly toward the catcher. In these last to videos,her toes face 3rd base at one point.I think if you just focus on fixing that issue,the angle of the stride foot will fix itself. The IR is progressing nicely.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2012
Wi
Honestly it doesn't look like she is getting a real push with her pivot foot instead it looks like she is stepping out with her stride foot and pulling her pivot foot. She needs to explode. I could definitely be wrong.

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
The left arm needs to stay in control better. Check out 16/17 seconds on both videos, her glove hand is straight up in the air and then later way off line. At full push off extension, her pitching arm is already at 12 high and at foot plant it is already at 9:00. Her arm should be somewhere in front of her head at full push off and around 11:00 at foot plant. Just a guess but her arm timing might be leading to her being off balance later in her motion. The angle of her plant foot is way to much, try backing off to somewhere around a 45.

Last edited:
Boomers,

inde and clm have it right. My daughter used to look just like yours in the way she pushed off.

See how her shoulders are up in her ears here:

Untitled-1.jpg

She is using her upper body and arms to swing or propel her off the mound. The leg is not pushing until she is almost off the mound. This causes here arms to be ahead and her plant foot to not be down in time.

Untitled-2.jpg

When the front foot is not down in time then there is nothing to pull down the backside or whip against. When her front foot plants her arm should be at around 11:00. The top half has to stay calm and not use it to swing of the mound. I tried to explain to my DD was to push her lower half (legs and hips) under her top half and let it glide under and past her top half. Also trying to not to just stick your front foot out as far as she can. Yeah it is good to get good distance off the mound but if you got there from swinging your arms and doing the splits then that is not what you want. Hope that makes sense. Maybe try pushing with out any arms. Keep her arms to her side and see if she can push off an get her hips out past her top half without using so much arms to propel her.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
Let her know that driving the backside is an active part of the pitch. Have her stand on one leg (pivot foot) and drive off. You can also use a piece of rubber tubing used in exerbands or for physical therapy wrap around her pivot ankle kneel in front to the side and have her back up and stretch the tubing when she leaps it will draw her foot forward and give her the feeling ( keep your head down). You can also go behind her while she is on the rubber and hold it and make her try to stretch it when she explodes keeping her toe down. Hold a pool noodle out in front 2 feet or so about the height of stride foot, make her leap over it and drive the back side to pinch the noodle between her knees. The noodle should get bent pretty good. Make sure its done without slamming the hips. knee to knee or toe to heel however you want to describe it.

Last edited:
I just wanted to add one more thing. I like the thought of having the back leg control the stride. Meaning not to just stretch the front leg out as far as possible. If you notice your daughter stretches out her stride leg as far as she can and stays there before her foot plants. If you watch the Scarborough video notice how her legs start to relax and come together before she lands.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1