Newbie pitcher video

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
Thanks Alan and Inde for the info. So basically she needs to push off of the rubber harder?? I dont want to throw too much technical info at her because inevitibally (sp?) i will explain it to her wrong and screw something up. Do you think her hips are too open? Too closed? Again, thanks for the help.

Thanks Alan and Inde for the info. So basically she needs to push off of the rubber harder?? I dont want to throw too much technical info at her because inevitibally (sp?) i will explain it to her wrong and screw something up. Do you think her hips are too open? Too closed? Again, thanks for the help.

IMO, I'm not sure you want to tell her just to push harder. I think she would just flail her arms harder and stretch her front foot out farther, just like my daughter would do. She needs to learn to mainly use her leg to drive off. I would tell her not to worry about how far out she pushes or where she lands. Push harder and sooner with her just her rear leg and let the front leg relax and land where it does, so she stays balanced.

Mar 12, 2009
I've noticed lately in watching video of some elite pitchers that their arm can be as far down as 10 or even 9:30 and still have plenty of time to pull down and achieve a strong whip. I do think somewhere between 10 and 11 is optimal.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
she needs to use her right foot to drive and not step/stretch with her left foot and not use the momentum of her arms. glove hand should be moving/pointing at the catcher but in control. Try having her stand on her right foot and drive out while maintaining control with her arms particularly glove side.

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
Hi guys, here are a couple of vids from last nights practice. She is really trying to work on the toe drag. I know the mule kick isnt optimal but that is the only way she can keep from totally anchoring the drag foot. Also, I think her timing is slightly off upon landing with the front foot. Does she need to start her arm circle a split second later? Is she achieving IR? We are also working on landing at more of a 45........SO much to work on, I have found if we focus on too many things at once, she doesnt get as much out of the session. I appreciate everyones continued help.

2813lp - YouTube
2813lp1 - YouTube

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
First I wish I could go outside to practice your lucky. IR is happening, from behind it looks as if her arm is coming out from her body. She needs to brush her shorts. Her posture is a little off she needs to stand tall stronger front. She's looking good she should be proud.

Here's a drill that helped us. Sit beside her w 10 balls have har throw into a net after the first pitch as fast as possible she needs to plant the front and push back. Back pedal back to the rubber you toss a ball she repeats do a few rounds. This needs to be done fast. Concentrate on the front side

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
A recent video and still picture of my DD pitching. She has been focusing on dragging the back leg through but still hasnt been able to achieve the desired result. She has gotten much better at not totally anchoring and she is at least bringing it through at this point...In watching other slow mo videos of pitchers, I have noticed that the landing leg is bent upon landing but only slightly. My DD's landing leg is more bent upon landing than the pitchers I have watched in slo mo and I THINK this is what could be causing her drag leg to anchor because the bend in her front leg is causing her body to be lower to the ground thus not having enough elevation for the back foot to drag through without anchoring (sorry for the long explanation but thats the only way I could explain it). I do realize that the slow mo vids I have seen are of older more experienced pitchers but is there a specific "bend" in the landing leg that should be achieved? Also, she is still landing more at a 90 degree angle rather than the desired 45 degree angle. Could this cause the back foot to anchor due to hip placement upon landing? Other than the drag foot and glove swim is there anything else that stands out? As always, we appreciate everyones help!!!

2hpq8a0.gif

nr143o.gif

photo.jpg

LP022113 - YouTube

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2012
Landing at 90 will = knee problems at older age.
Get rid of the glove swim and landing at 90 and you have a good young pitcher.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Video from the side? From what I can tell, she's not using her glove at all in her stride. The glove should push out hard and reach for the catcher. I like to see the glove stay out reaching during the stride/glide stage, which she lacks. From the video, it looks like she steps and plants. No leap and drag going on. A side video would help to see if this is the case. Here's an example of the stride/glide stage:

628x471.jpg

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
Video from the side? From what I can tell, she's not using her glove at all in her stride. The glove should push out hard and reach for the catcher. I like to see the glove stay out reaching during the stride/glide stage, which she lacks. From the video, it looks like she steps and plants. No leap and drag going on. A side video would help to see if this is the case. Here's an example of the stride/glide stage:

View attachment 3268

KenB, I totally agree. We are going to pitch tonight and I will get som side view vids and post later this evening. We appreciate the input......

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1