Need Help with Daughters Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 3, 2014
Get the hands lower. Can't have them up there.

9c8CVx.gif

May 12, 2008
She does alot of high tee work because of this problem. But I never suggested the plane of the shoulders and bat should be the same because I didnt know. We will work on this and let you know how she is doing. Thanks for you help

Excellent!

On the two planes you can either look at 1 to 8 in the link above, study other clips or just think about it. If the shoulders are rotating powerfully and quickly, what plane does the lead arm and bat WANT to swing in? Fight that as little as possible.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2014
Do you have another video where she is out in front of the ball, it looks like she hits this ball really deep in the zone, it would be interesting to see if anything looks different when she is out in front of the ball

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Do you have another video where she is out in front of the ball, it looks like she hits this ball really deep in the zone, it would be interesting to see if anything looks different when she is out in front of the ball

Exactly! This is why I asked if she was a slapper.

Question is ... Is this swing even representative of her normal swing? Making contact that deep isn't going to work.

Last edited:
May 12, 2008
Good catch. Given that the downward swing plane it makes all the sense in the world. If she is proficient as a slapper I'd work on her full swing in the back of the box so she can show her short game often enough to keep the defense honest without adjusting her starting position in the box.

Given the camera angle I'm not going to comment on how deep contact was in this clip. Having said that, generally speaking, letting it come deep and spraying it the other way can be a very effective strategy for a lefty. I'd say this girl has too much power potential to recommend that strategy though.

Last edited:
May 3, 2014
If you are relying on the shoulders to rotate powerfully and connect the lead arm to that - wouldn't you just have an around swing and not something that works in to out? I mean, heck it works. I know first hand - but you are limited in zone coverage. JMHO.

Is Schwarber doing that or is the lead side resisting thus keeping the shoulders from rotating?

YZ6lwW.gif

How about Matt Williams?

wkhtvu.gif

Does someone have the Andres Torres / Buster Posey comp? That really shows the difference in barrel paths where one is connected to the shoulders rotation and the other is free to swing inside to out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quickpitch