Need help breaking down my daughter's swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
- She’s pre-loaded in her stance (weight already on back foot). Most would recommend that weight be balanced in the stance and that toes and knees are pointed toward the cameraman in this video, although I’ve seen players (especially at younger ages) hit from a similar/preloaded stance and do fine. But most hitting coaches will suggest a load & unload approach, starting from a balanced stance.

- She uses her hips and legs pretty well. Hits off fairly firm front side, doesn't pivot off her back foot, which is good. I would say that is the strength of her swing. (Not sure it’s the reason for her current success, per se, but is the part of her swing that is closest to high level, IMO.)

- There is no stretch-and-fire in the swing. Not uncommon in younger players (and older, really). I’m still trying to get my daughter to do it consistently, and she’s 13. Rather than explain S&F, I’d recommend doing a search on it.

- Her left arm is straight during the swing, and she has a little bat drag (back elbow gets ahead of knob of bat). The front arm bar makes it hard to keep hands inside the ball.

Notice below that the front arm remains slightly bent on contact.

Megan Wiggins.jpg

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Looks like a sway and spin with the lower half. Both feet spin. Also upper body gets ahead and this swing is mostly a upperbody arm swing.
Just saying what I see, not trying to be mean

95% of girls I work with all came to me with upper body swings. Takes some practice to reverse that

SL

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I hear her say on the video something about dropping her shoulders. Be aware that dropping the back shoulder during the linear weight shift forward (stride) is not good. But the shoulder must drop during the swing phase to be effective. At contact, her right shoulder should be lower than the left shoulder, sometimes at a steep angle, depending on the height of the pitch. The lower the pitch, the more tilted the shoulders.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
She needs time between the pitches, to get set up again and breath. She swings and misses and can't make any adjustment, because the ball is firing again.

I would start by moving her back in the box, so that her front foot is about even with the middle of the plate. She seems to be emulating someone, or has been taught incorrectly up until now. Build this swing from the ground up and this athletic young lady will be pounding the ball. There are a lot of people on this board that can help you.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Amy, she has more than ample time between pitches. What we see is a fundamentally bad swing that starts out of sequence, lacks proper hand usage, has a anti-drop-the-shoulder mentality, that attempts to hit the ball too far out front.

Jan 25, 2011
I was wondering if anyone else think her hands are to far away from her body? hard to tell from the side view, but they do look to far out. But I wouldn't worry about the hands just yet, need to get the lower half right first.

Apr 23, 2012
After slowing down the swing, couple things that stand out to me are a little bat drag, trying to get hands to the ball and also pulling off at contact ( not getting long through the ball.) One the other posters said something about the hands out to far away from the body, I also see that.

She diffently needs to let the ball get deeper. (she's way out pass her power zone) This is a big reason that her wraist are breaking at contact causing the ball to deflect off the bat.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Aiq6VyCFW1Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom