need an opinion on this situation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2009
A 10 YO player knows hitting someone with a ball will hurt. They've all been hit with bad bounces, HBP's, missed balls or any number of situations. The fact that it was done intentionally and with malice is what would really concern me as a coach. Especially for something as minor as not playing catch with a teammate.

The first thing that needs to be done is to have a conversation with the parents. I would really have to ask if there are underlying medical issues with the player you don't know about. As others have pointed out. Is there any history between the girls that would manifest itself in that situation? If there are no extenuating issues you'll have to proceed with an appropriate course of discipline based upon your experience with the player. I think that at the minimum you'll need to suspend her for is as long as the player she injured is unable to play. She'd need to attend practices and games and not participate. You hate remove a player from the team, but if your instincts tell you that would be the best thing for the TEAM then do it. Again, you're familiar with the situation. We're outsiders looking in.

I've been dealing with girls 10-14 for the last 15 years without a DD on the team. The one thing I tell every team at the start of the season is this. "I will ASK a lot of you. The ONLY thing I DEMAND is you respect your teammates." There is no compromise with that.

May 23, 2015
Thank you for your previous service to the team. I hope you find another home, but this place isn't for you. Please return all team equipment that may be in your possession

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Tossing them is such an easy anwser and might be the right anwser but she is 10.

No harm her missing 1/2 a season and making a point just not sure the easy anwser is best anwser.

Plus you might be on the hook if it happened again.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
The first thing that needs to be done is to have a conversation with the parents. I would really have to ask if there are underlying medical issues with the player you don't know about. As others have pointed out. Is there any history between the girls that would manifest itself in that situation? If there are no extenuating issues you'll have to proceed with an appropriate course of discipline based upon your experience with the player. I think that at the minimum you'll need to suspend her for is as long as the player she injured is unable to play. She'd need to attend practices and games and not participate. You hate remove a player from the team, but if your instincts tell you that would be the best thing for the TEAM then do it. Again, you're familiar with the situation. We're outsiders looking in.

THIS

two things-

1) at a minimum, thrower should be kept out as long as the kid who was injured. she can't play until the kid she injured can play. Unless this is just a symptom of a larger problem.

2) why did the kid not want to play 3-way? If there weren't enough kids for her to pair up with someone then they should've let their teammate join them at least until someone else showed up. if there were enough kids for her to pair up with someone, then I do not fault the kid for saying no to 3-way. one of my pet peeves is kids who insist on playing 3-way with their friends rather than pairing up with another kid on the team.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
Wow.

You would think the rec league would be scared of law suits by the parents of the girls who got the pills from her.

Of course, this is something the OP has to worry about. Will the organization allow discipline. They may be scared of law suits by the girl's parents.

This is something I used to see back in the 1990s when I taught at various colleges. IN one college in particular the powers that be very much restricted me enforcing discipline against cheaters, and any punishment I was allowed to give depended on the color of the skin of the student. I wish I made that part up, but I didn't.

DD who is now a HS math teacher and softball coach is beginning to experience some of the same issues, students who are border line on passing a course, DD was told by the administration not to record a grade that would lower a students grade.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD who is now a HS math teacher and softball coach is beginning to experience some of the same issues, students who are border line on passing a course, DD was told by the administration not to record a grade that would lower a students grade.

Lovely world we live in.

We lost 1 of our best players for a game or two, Grade was not recorded right or something so she sat. She was livid.

She got caught up in the system and took a few days to unwind.

Sep 15, 2016
thrower was suspended for remainder of all stars...hurt girl is doing fine just waiting for swelling to go down and doc clearance to return to play...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00