need an opinion on this situation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
If it were me, my team and my players, she'd be gone. Then again, my team's 18U. I highly doubt that the player intended to cause such serious injury to the other player but she did throw the ball with malice which in turn resulted in injury. Suspend her for several games but make sure she has to attend them and sit the bench.

May 4, 2016
East Coast
the girl that threw the ball admitted why she threw the ball

There is very little silver lining to the events that occurred, but I would make sure to find a way to reward honesty. Most kids (and adults) would adamantly deny having done it on purpose...

For example: If you deem a two week suspension the appropriate punishment, tell the girl and her family that the punishment would have been four weeks except that she stepped up and accepted responsibility. And make sure everyone on the team knows about this. As Coaches and Parents, we have to make even the worst situations a learning experience for everyone else.

Jun 12, 2015
My DD is 10U, and I'm just a parent, not a coach. If this happened on our team, I would expect the girl who did it to be cut. If she weren't, we'd probably leave ourselves. We have minor dramas like girls making occasional snide comments or conflict over who gets to lead the warm up. Throwing a ball at a girl on purpose is way beyond anything close to acceptable behavior. With that much injury she must have really thrown it hard, too. So I can't say what I'd do as a coach, never having been one. But as a parent my kiddo wouldn't play on a team with a child who would do that. Most 10 year olds DO know better.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
After you come to a decision, or close to one, I would discuss it with the parents of the hit player before making it official. Not ideal but I think they should have some input.

Oct 19, 2009
When I was coaching recreation league we had a girl who stole pain pills from her mother and had given some of the other girls some of the pills. I was told by the league that I could not discipline her and she had to play so many innings in every game. The school found out and kicked her out of school the rest of the year, but the recreation league would not allow me to discipline her.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
had an incident yesterday at a friendly game between 2 of my players. in-between innings the girls on the bench warm up the outfield. during one of these warm ups one of the girls anted to warm up playing 3-way, the girl she asked didn't want to and so the first girl threw the ball hitting the 2nd girl in the head /eye area. the hit girl ended up going to the ER and again to her doctor today with a concussion and possible orbital fracture. the girl that threw the ball admitted why she threw the ball saying that she was mad that 1st girl didn't want to play 3-way so I threw the ball at her. 2nd girl was sent home with parent/parents.

My question is, what should the punishment be for the girl that threw the ball? right now she is suspended until the 10u rep(me) and the coach and the president of the league come to a decision.

has anyone ever ran into this before? if so what was the course of action?

What would you do if she just hauled off and sucker punched her? Its the same thing in my mind.

Mar 31, 2014
If first offense and if she is generally a good kid and not a problem, also if her parents understand what happened. She would be suspended for several games and would run during any softball related team activity including games. If she has a history of being a problem and her parents either don't care or don't think she did anything wrong she would be gone. Ten year olds do stupid stuff and don't think of the consequences.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
When I was coaching recreation league we had a girl who stole pain pills from her mother and had given some of the other girls some of the pills. I was told by the league that I could not discipline her and she had to play so many innings in every game. The school found out and kicked her out of school the rest of the year, but the recreation league would not allow me to discipline her.

Wow.

You would think the rec league would be scared of law suits by the parents of the girls who got the pills from her.

Of course, this is something the OP has to worry about. Will the organization allow discipline. They may be scared of law suits by the girl's parents.

This is something I used to see back in the 1990s when I taught at various colleges. IN one college in particular the powers that be very much restricted me enforcing discipline against cheaters, and any punishment I was allowed to give depended on the color of the skin of the student. I wish I made that part up, but I didn't.

Jan 22, 2011
We had an incident where a 9 year girl intentionally threw at the head of a girl and just missed. The parents were in denial that the girl had some issues. We had to suggest that it was best the girl took the last 10 days of the season off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad