My 14 yo daughter htting off tee

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Looks great. Some good swings. Try to get some swings off of a pitcher or in a game on tape, compare and post them. That is the next big step...is this her prep and swing in game.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Recommendations ...

1: Remove the 'sway' ... http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-technical/4400-11yo-swing-analysis-7.html#post42443

2: Improve the sequence ... improve the 'stretch' ... Coil-Stretch-Swing ... http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-technical/4400-11yo-swing-analysis-2.html#post42065

dg12cm.gif

Read the post in the above link on the "Pre-set Screw-in" and transform this 'sway' into 'coil'.

8vqiw4.gif

Your 'setup' will largely determine your motion ... and your motion will largely determine the result.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2010
Thanks guys. I wish I had some video of when we first started working on her swing. FFS, we are really working on the coil and eliminating the sway. The stretch needs work also. Thanks for the feedback. Howard and Tewks are helping her out also.

R

RayR

She looks good, but of course can improve!!

She looks to be relying on her body too much to bring the bat around. That is where I would spend some time.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
MTS ... interesting that you say this. I would have gone the other way. Notice the collapsing of the elbow distance as she rotates. Gives the appearance of slight 'bat drag'. Would suggest to me that her 'connection' could use some further improvement ... which would have her making better use of her body IMO. The kid is potentially a good candidate for using a connector-like device with the goal of better developing the "actions of connection".

The kid on the right is using a connection-like device to learn how to perform a connected swing. Compare that to the video on the left where his elbow distance has collapsed.

1z736s3.gif

Notice Crankermo's daughter has her elbows collapsed back in the 'bat lag' position.

9zsoyd.jpg

Suggests to me that Crankermo's daughter isn't quite getting all that she can get out of her body. She hasn't fully taped into her body's main source of force generation.

R

RayR

FFS, I don't disagree that she loses connection. Absolutely. What I mean is that she is relies on turning her body to try and bring the bat around as opposed to using legs and her hands/arms correctly. Her shoulders are done rotating by the time her hands get to contact. Picture her swing if she kept her top hand closer to her rear shoulder until lag position? Yes, it is a connection issue.

You start to see it back here, it starts further upstream. I would rather see a tighter stack of the hands and elbow in the first picture. That would get the front elbow into a better position as well. Look how far the shoulders are already turned.

Crank1..JPGCrank2..JPG

I see a lot of these kind of swings because they have been told to swing hard. They instantly try to rotate faster and leave the hands behind.

I also think she would really benefit from screwing the back foot in...

I am not a huge fan of the connection device. I think it has its place, but seems too restrictive. Kind of like the difference between doing free weights and sitting in a machine...

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
MTS ... I agree that she isn't using her 'hands' ideally ... and I'd go as far as to say that it is part of the issue. Here Tewks is very knowledgeable on the topic ... and since this girl is working with him, I tend to believe that he'll make an adjustment here at some point in time.

Swing 'hard' is fine ... as long as you can still swing with 'connection' ... which IMO, isn't quite the case here. IMO, the better you can learn to establish connection, the better you will be at swinging with 'intent'.

I'm completely with you on the preset screw-in action. I have more to say on that in the other thread ... just waiting for them to turn around another video clip.

What I like about Mankin's use of the connection device is that he is demonstrating the ability to get people to 'contact' without collapsing the elbow distance prematurely ... he appears to be using the device to create connected swings. Not saying this girl must use such a device ... but having a goal of getting to contact without collapsing the elbows would elevate her hitting mechanics IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles