My 14 yo daughter htting off tee

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
This swing was taken from 3:15 – 3:17 mark.

2qkksk4.gif

Still appears to sway linearly back towards the catcher rather than coil. Still believe a pre-set screw-in would correct that.

R

RayR

Not that a screw in wouldn't help, but do you believe the same effect can happen if she were to internally rotate the front leg to help the hips coil? And I mean turn the femur in the front hip socket until it turns the hips back - not just pick up the leg and do a high leg kick

I have a question as to whether the pre set screw is trying turn linear movement rearward into rotational hip coil.

In this swing there is nothing to unwind. However she does it - she needs to coil the hips first without swaying over the back foot.

This swing was taken from 3:15 – 3:17 mark.

2qkksk4.gif

Still appears to sway linearly back towards the catcher rather than coil. Still believe a pre-set screw-in would correct that.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I am surprised that no one has mentioned that this girl is out of plane, she is swinging down on the ball, you can see the result in this last swing, a ground ball. The position of the forearm at launch is an indicator of what the swing plane will be and in this case she is swinging from high outside to low inside, cutting across the path of the pitch.

R

RayR

Arm - I am defintely on board with her forearm position - which to me is fixed by attending to the lead elbow.

Feb 14, 2010
Arm,

Funny that you mentioned that, we've been workinghard on eliminating the front arm bar and getting the lead elbow to go up the ramp so to speak. Brooke has always had problems with swinging down. Did some front toss last thursday and she was nailing the ball especially the low ones. Her coiling looks alot better also. I'll try to load some new video of her tonight for everyone to watch. As everyone knows it's a long journey but it's so rewarding

Oct 25, 2009
I also believe the hip should roll inward to show hip pocket to pitcher instead of swaying back on top of rear foot.

The clockwise rotation cue for the rear foot might make one think of moving the foot rather than bracing the foot against the hips loading.

The first thing I would fix in this swing: she needs to lead with her hips. Leading with the hips here will also help the bat drag.

Not leading with the hips is the most common flaw I see in softball. Anyone have an opinion on why that is?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I have a question as to whether the pre set screw is trying turn linear movement rearward into rotational hip coil.

Almost. The intent of setting the screw is to provide a pivot point to accept rotational pressures into the rear foot. The idea is to use the muscles in the upper rear leg to initiate a 'coil' and not a 'sway' back to the catcher.

R

RayR

Crank - the front arm is not barred in the latest clip. It actually looks good - just off line.

The lead elbow cannot go up a ramp if it is not starting at the bottom of the ramp so to speak. If the elbow were to go up a ramp from this positon I think you would be creating a different set of problems...

2qkksk4.gif

The problem with this particular set up is the bat angle does not match the ball location. That's why the hands disconnect and swing down to the ball. Bat angle is formed by the front elbow move.

Arm,

Funny that you mentioned that, we've been workinghard on eliminating the front arm bar and getting the lead elbow to go up the ramp so to speak. Brooke has always had problems with swinging down. Did some front toss last thursday and she was nailing the ball especially the low ones. Her coiling looks alot better also. I'll try to load some new video of her tonight for everyone to watch. As everyone knows it's a long journey but it's so rewarding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid