10U Swing Eval

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 26, 2021
My daughter is 9 and having a hard time hitting. She's a pretty decent fielder and would probably make all-stars if she could just hit, but she rarely hits at all, but when she does they are always softly hit to the infield and are almost always outs. Have gone through a few hitting coaches, it just doesn't seem like she's getting much better, or maybe it's just hard to tell.

Would love some feedback! Drills we can work on to fix her issues would be helpful too!

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Her hands are coming forward before footplant. She is taking the knob forward and the bat reaches the lag position out front and then she tries to turn the bat.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Not to down down play the hands/arms pushing ahead of the lowerbody. That is a issue.

You have to have patience. Even if we can identify the issues. It takes time to change.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Curious if this swing is what she was taught by the hitting instruction.

Maybe she just needs to swing the that thing and see what happens.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Keep in mind that no matter what advice you get here/from hitting coaches, not all nine year olds are strong enough or have enough body awareness to actually do what's being taught to them.

The best advice you're going to get here is to be patient.

May 26, 2021
Curious if this swing is what she was taught by the hitting instruction.

Maybe she just needs to swing the that thing and see what happens.
Yeah I hear "bring the knob to the ball" pretty often. I've thought that too and tell her to just swing and it doesn't seem to get much better. I think she's got this way in muscle memory pretty solidly. I'm not sure how to teach her how to do it any other way? I feel like she needs some drills to get some different muscle memory going.

My 6 year old son just started playing baseball and he's hitting it harder than her. She's swung thousands of times and it's just frustrating. I feel like she's been poorly trained, and messed up. Just sucks for her cause she practices a lot, and would love to make all-stars, but I just don't see it happening unless she can figure out how to hit better. There is SO much conflicting information online and every hitting instructor says different stuff. I've been trying to dissect some slow motion MLB players. I know she doesn't look even close to right, but it's hard for me to instruct her on what to do to look like she should because I just don't have the experience.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020
Keep in mind that no matter what advice you get here/from hitting coaches, not all nine year olds are strong enough or have enough body awareness to actually do what's being taught to them.

The best advice you're going to get here is to be patient.

Ya. I'd say ditch the tee besides warming up. And instructors too. Throw her a bunch of front toss(take the instructor money and rent cages if you want/have to). Or tennis balls in the back yard. Nothing to coach there I don't think at this point. She also doesn't drag it which is really nice.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Ya. I'd say ditch the tee besides warming up. And instructors too. Throw her a bunch of front toss(take the instructor money and rent cages if you want/have to). Or tennis balls in the back yard. Nothing to coach there I don't think at this point. She also doesn't drag it which is really nice.

She doesn’t drag it because she pushes from the start.

Tee’s are fine. If you use the right ones, I have a Tanner tee which gives you true contact, nothing interferes with hitting through the ball. I also use a Utee which is awesome for tempo, true contact.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Yeah I hear "bring the knob to the ball" pretty often. I've thought that too and tell her to just swing and it doesn't seem to get much better. I think she's got this way in muscle memory pretty solidly. I'm not sure how to teach her how to do it any other way? I feel like she needs some drills to get some different muscle memory going.

My 6 year old son just started playing baseball and he's hitting it harder than her. She's swung thousands of times and it's just frustrating. I feel like she's been poorly trained, and messed up. Just sucks for her cause she practices a lot, and would love to make all-stars, but I just don't see it happening unless she can figure out how to hit better. There is SO much conflicting information online and every hitting instructor says different stuff. I've been trying to dissect some slow motion MLB players. I know she doesn't look even close to right, but it's hard for me to instruct her on what to do to look like she should because I just don't have the experience.

Yes starting out all the info is overwhelming and in many causes wrong. The old this is what I was taught. Sometimes things are just misunderstood and explained wrong.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28