My 14 yo daughter htting off tee

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

R

RayR

OK - I understand.

Do you think you can create the same "coil" by internally rotating the front leg until the hips coil. Mind you I am talking about a move similar to this guy - although not the best view.

Upton.gif

Let me ask you this: Do you think the coil of the hips is a creating a bond between the hips and rear upper leg? Do think that this bond is maintained pretty much the whole swing?

Almost. The intent of setting the screw is to provide a pivot point to accept rotational pressures into the rear foot. The idea is to use the muscles in the upper rear leg to initiate a 'coil' and not a 'sway' back to the catcher.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
OK - I understand.

Do you think you can create the same "coil" by internally rotating the front leg until the hips coil. Mind you I am talking about a move similar to this guy - although not the best view.

Upton.gif

Let me ask you this: Do you think the coil of the hips is a creating a bond between the hips and rear upper leg? Do think that this bond is maintained pretty much the whole swing?

What I see here represents the queue "show the pitcher your front pocket" while coiling. Absolutely the front side can be, and is, used to support the coiling process. The front knee can turn in to support this or the front leg can internally rotate to support this ... think in terms of the queue of showing the pitcher your front heel (almost like what we see here).

This bind of the rear hip and upper leg is created while we rotate our pelvis rearward. As we unwind the rear leg, we do so from the ground up. This is important IMO. The unwinding is not from the hip down. By unwinding from the ground up, this bind you describe between the rear hip and rear femur is maintained, and even tightened, until thrust.

Last edited:
R

RayR

When is thrust? And what happens to the connection between the femur and the hip?

R

RayR

So - you don't agree that what Upton is doing and showing your back pocket to the pitcher are different moves?

What I see here represents the queue "show the pitcher your front pocket" while coiling. Absolutely the front side can be, and is, used to support the coiling process. The front knee can turn in to support this or the front leg can internally rotate to support this ... think in terms of the queue of showing the pitcher your front heel (almost like what we see here).

This bind of the rear hip and upper leg is created while we rotate our pelvis rearward. As we unwind the rear leg, we do so from the ground up. This is important IMO. The unwinding is not from the hip down. By unwinding from the ground up, this bind you describe between the rear hip and rear femur is maintained, and even tightened, until thrust.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
So - you don't agree that what Upton is doing and showing your back pocket to the pitcher are different moves?

IMO ... the queue of taking your rear butt cheek to pull-side middle-infielder, while rotating your pelvis rearward ....

And the queue of showing the pitcher your front pocket, while rotating your pelvis rearward ....

both produce the equivalent "forward by coiling" action.

I treat them as different queues to obtain the same action.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
When is thrust? And what happens to the connection between the femur and the hip?

If I get time I'll put up some GIFs. The thrust occurs towards the end of the unwinding of the 'rear leg' that is fueled by the pressure about the rear foot. To do a good job with this, we'll actually have to differentiate between the pelvis reversing and rotating forward and the physical 'uncoil' or 'thrust' from the rear hip ... the thrust coming later.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I also believe the hip should roll inward to show hip pocket to pitcher instead of swaying back on top of rear foot.

The clockwise rotation cue for the rear foot might make one think of moving the foot rather than bracing the foot against the hips loading.

The first thing I would fix in this swing: she needs to lead with her hips. Leading with the hips here will also help the bat drag.

Not leading with the hips is the most common flaw I see in softball. Anyone have an opinion on why that is?

Poor balance.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
I also believe the hip should roll inward to show hip pocket to pitcher instead of swaying back on top of rear foot.

The clockwise rotation cue for the rear foot might make one think of moving the foot rather than bracing the foot against the hips loading.

The first thing I would fix in this swing: she needs to lead with her hips. Leading with the hips here will also help the bat drag.

Not leading with the hips is the most common flaw I see in softball. Anyone have an opinion on why that is?

Poor sequence.
Slotting the rear elbow incorrectly.
Hands to the ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45