More on young players committing early

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 8, 2009
In her recruiting bio last year it states she is 5'4. If she is throwing 70 I would pay to see it. Also if she is throwing hello elbow Im switching my DDs back, dont care what you guys and gals say.;)

She throws well but I doubt 70 mph is something she does often. I have a friend whose daughter was playing the bandits this fall . They had her low 60s. Someone told me in the spring she was throwing 70 plus. Her high school team was beaten handily in regionals. People throw those numbers around pretty freely.

Dec 11, 2010
Alexander, I can probably describe him to you. I call him Mr. Morrison.

Some people think he might exaggerate.

I read 70 in the paper, I'm sure it's true or they wouldn't have printed it.

Edited to add: To be fair, her team is a very solid hs team. Her team was beat by a team that went on to win the 2a state championship and should have NEVER been playing in a 2a regional. (They finally got moved up to 3a this year.)

Last edited:

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
People throw those numbers around pretty freely.
we had a HS pitcher that there was a lot of talk about and she supposedly threw in the low 60's. DD#1 caught for her. one time when DD#1 was catching for DD#2, she noted that DD#2 was throwing as hard as that pitcher. DD#2 was in 6th grade at the time.
she's in 9th grade now and while she throws well, 3 years later she hasn't hit 60 yet.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Cool. I didn't know there was more than one team.

When she came to me she was already a stud. She got off on her load and hand path. Had a bad weekend tournament. After 1 lesson she hit one out the next tournament.
She is a sophomore I believe, not freshman. Not sure what age bracket she plays in.
They play in Florida. This weekend

I know for a fact at least 1 of her teammates committed D-1 as an 8th grader...

SL

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I remember when he came and clocked Thomas over 70 when she was 16/17. I think she was as surprised as anyone.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Pitching speeds advertised are about as reliable as a politician. Especially if the info comes directly from a pitcher's Dad or an ESPN radar gun.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Regardless of the accuracy of her claimed speed, pitching in HS or any level of TB is light years from being a competent pitcher in the SEC. Hopefully she will bring more to the party than velocity. I have seen 12U kids hit 70mph. :)

Oct 5, 2011
Sterling IL
I know the kid very well. I have watched her pitch many times from the other dugout! I know that she throws HARD!! I have never had a gun on her but I know of a handful of girls that have thrown in the low 60s and Rice makes these kids look like they are throwing slowpitch lol. I have no doubt in my mind that she could have hit 70. I have also seen her on weekends where she was overused throwing in the low to mid 60's when she does get beat its not because she gets hit its because of free passes or defensive issues. And one person pointed out the fact that she is really only 5'4". She does have some control issue's from time to time but as she matures that will come. Mizzou got a good one with her only being a soph this year any growth or maturity at all and she will be a great pitcher in college. And one person said they wondered why she was slumming at 14U.... The Bandits are in no way in the slums... Even though she was on a team with a bunch of 14U kids I assure you she probably only played 1 tournament at the 14U level. They always play up until national time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06