More on young players committing early

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Interesting, but let's see what actually happens in four years. EE has had a rough time recruiting and retaining players, especially pitchers lately. According to the Internet which is a wealth of reliable info she has already "accepted" a full ride scholarship? Hitting 70mph as a 14 year old is rare but not unheard of although you have to wonder at 70mph why she is slumming in 14U and not playing 18U GOLD. Unfortunately many bringing that speed at such an early age have minimal movement and even less control. Then making matters worse too some are bonafide "skippys". Four years is an eternity in SB, so anything could happen. Until then I wish her the best.

Jun 18, 2010
Interesting, but let's see what actually happens in four years. EE has had a rough time recruiting and retaining players, especially pitchers lately.

As one who closely follows MIZZOU, EE doesn't have any problems recruiting players especially pitchers. Two that I am familiar with who have left, did so because it became clear they wouldn't get the playing time they wanted.

• Chelsey Thomas put MIZZOU softball on the map.
  • Bailey Erwin wasn't seeing any playing time behind Thomas & Nottelman returned to her home state of Oklahoma to play for University of Tulsa.
  • Tori Finucane a top 5 ranked pitching prospect coming out of high school, had an outstanding freshman year with big expectations for the next 3 years, .
  • Casey Stangle was also a top pitching prospect out of high school who could also hit. It is my opinion EE wanted to keep two top notch pitchers after being burnt the previous year with Thomas's forearm issues, but Stangle was not satisfied with a backup role when Finucane was the clear starter. Stangle was also a long way from home. Her transfer to Washington puts her much closer to home.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
EE gets his recruits early, did the same thing with TF. She hit a big number at 14, she had a great freshman year, and she is going to be strong for Mizzou, because she has more variety than CT.

Guess it depends on what you call big number. Saw Tori Finucane in HS as a 10th grader she was not exactly bringing it.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
As one who closely follows MIZZOU, EE doesn't have any problems recruiting players especially pitchers. Two that I am familiar with who have left, did so because it became clear they wouldn't get the playing time they wanted.

• Chelsey Thomas put MIZZOU softball on the map.
  • Bailey Erwin wasn't seeing any playing time behind Thomas & Nottelman returned to her home state of Oklahoma to play for University of Tulsa.
  • Tori Finucane a top 5 ranked pitching prospect coming out of high school, had an outstanding freshman year with big expectations for the next 3 years, .
  • Casey Stangle was also a top pitching prospect out of high school who could also hit. It is my opinion EE wanted to keep two top notch pitchers after being burnt the previous year with Thomas's forearm issues, but Stangle was not satisfied with a backup role when Finucane was the clear starter. Stangle was also a long way from home. Her transfer to Washington puts her much closer to home.

Recruiting is easy, retaining is something different. All I know is that during the conversations we had with EE in June he seemed quite concerned over his current pitching staff. And he could not have been pleased with the significant exodus from his team. I also think there was a bit more to the Stangle story. Not satisfied with her role is a bit of an understatement. I will give you this, if he is anything EE is tenacious with respect to recruiting.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2010
Recruiting is easy, retaining is something different.

I agree retaining players IS something different, your post said:
EE has had a rough time recruiting and retaining players, especially pitchers lately.

EE did retain the player/pitcher he truly coveted.

All I know is that during the conversations we had with EE in June he seemed quite concerned over his current pitching staff. And he could not have been pleased with the significant exodus from his team. I also think there was a bit more to the Stangle story. Not satisfied with her role is a bit of an understatement. I will give you this, if he is anything EE is tenacious with respect to recruiting.

Please elaborate.... what concerns? what else do you know about the Stangle departure?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
As to the Stangle departure you pretty much nailed with your statement that he retained the player/pitcher he coveted. Best of luck to Coach Tarr.

Jun 18, 2010
As to the Stangle departure you pretty much nailed with your statement that he retained the player/pitcher he coveted. Best of luck to Coach Tarr.

Reading between the lines... and I think I know where you're going.... She does march to the beat of her own drum. DM me with any other inside info, if you would rather not post it here ;)

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Reading between the lines... and I think I know where you're going.... She does march to the beat of her own drum. DM me with any other inside info, if you would rather not post it here ;)

Well said. Let's just leave it at that.

ADDED: For those not familiar with former Mizzou, new Washington pitcher Casey Stangle she is one you want to watch in 2015. She was the #2 pitcher at Mizzou competing in the SEC. Now she may be the #1 at Washington competing in the PAC 12. Not something that happens very often and it could be interesting.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
The early committal to Mizzou was not the starting pitcher on her high school team. I'm not sure she was #2. That small school did not win their regional which is the first step of the tournament process in Illinois.

I saw her pitch a few weeks ago. She was improved since spring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan