More on young players committing early

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Our freshman verballed yesterday. To bad she was bringing a number of coaches by to see her and DD was getting some extra looks from it. I have to wonder if she will feel the same in 3 years since that is a rather long time for a kid.

Jun 7, 2011
Central Iowa
As one who closely follows MIZZOU, EE doesn't have any problems recruiting players especially pitchers. Two that I am familiar with who have left, did so because it became clear they wouldn't get the playing time they wanted.

• Chelsey Thomas put MIZZOU softball on the map.
  • Bailey Erwin wasn't seeing any playing time behind Thomas & Nottelman returned to her home state of Oklahoma to play for University of Tulsa.
  • Tori Finucane a top 5 ranked pitching prospect coming out of high school, had an outstanding freshman year with big expectations for the next 3 years, .
  • Casey Stangle was also a top pitching prospect out of high school who could also hit. It is my opinion EE wanted to keep two top notch pitchers after being burnt the previous year with Thomas's forearm issues, but Stangle was not satisfied with a backup role when Finucane was the clear starter. Stangle was also a long way from home. Her transfer to Washington puts her much closer to home.

I think the SEC is gonna find out that Paige Lowary is no slouch, either:)

Aug 24, 2011
Interesting, but let's see what actually happens in four years. EE has had a rough time recruiting and retaining players, especially pitchers lately. According to the Internet which is a wealth of reliable info she has already "accepted" a full ride scholarship? Hitting 70mph as a 14 year old is rare but not unheard of although you have to wonder at 70mph why she is slumming in 14U and not playing 18U GOLD. Unfortunately many bringing that speed at such an early age have minimal movement and even less control. Then making matters worse too some are bonafide "skippys". Four years is an eternity in SB, so anything could happen. Until then I wish her the best.

Actually throwing 70 as a 14-year-old is unheard of.

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
Actually throwing 70 as a 14-year-old is unheard of.

Met a woman at the tournament last week and she was telling me her 6 YO daughter plays for All-Universe Smash Gold Elite 18U. At 3'8" and 62 lbs. in the circle, her rise comes in at 68 mph. Has a 0.012 BAA and 0.020 ERA. She plays every inning of every game and her fielding percentage is .998. She swings a 33/31 and her line drives go THROUGH the outfield fence. Couldn't help but to take a picture of her:

rose-colored glasses softball mom.jpg

UMMMM.. Those would be rose-colored glasses.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2013
In her recruiting bio last year it states she is 5'4. If she is throwing 70 I would pay to see it. Also if she is throwing hello elbow Im switching my DDs back, dont care what you guys and gals say.;)

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Girls mature at different ages - earlier these days than historically. 70 mph is rare regardless of age. 70 from a girl who hasn't matured won't happen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877