Men's Slow-Pitch Bats???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

My dd and I went to the local park Saturday to watch her old coach's team play (yeah, pretty slow for social lives around here!). In between games, his wife told me that they played a team in the league here who used men's slow-pitch softball bats during a tournament game. The head of the tournament couldn't find in the Dizzy Dean rules where they were not allowed, but she didn't feel it was right. He was adament to their coach that they shouldn't be allowed to use them. Naturally, they did. One girl (12u) smacked a homerun her first time at bat. He asked their coach if he thought it was a fair ruling, to allow his team to use them, too. They took a pass. They walked all of the strong batters every inning after that but allowed the less experienced, smaller girls use them. She said they could barely swing the bats around to hit. Question: is it legal to use those bats in fastpitch?

Dec 4, 2009
Buffalo, NY
That a good question. I looked at the official bat rule and it makes no mention of a bat being a fast pitch of slow pitch bat. So IMHO it is legal. A softball bat is a softball bat, but I can see a teenage girl having a problem swinging a 38 oz bat!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
As long as a bat has the correct stamp, it is legal. The weight would be 26 or 28 ounces.

You probably ran into a team using shaved bats. My opinion, only.

Aug 17, 2009
Baltimore, MD
I agree with Amy. It works both ways. You have men using fast pitch bats today due to their weight. I know that when the Lady Virus came out a ton of men were using it and it was flat out sick.

As long as it is stamped correctly it is legal. Although I do not know many girls that can swing a 26 or 27 oz bat correctly in this area.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
My dd and I went to the local park Saturday to watch her old coach's team play (yeah, pretty slow for social lives around here!). In between games, his wife told me that they played a team in the league here who used men's slow-pitch softball bats during a tournament game. The head of the tournament couldn't find in the Dizzy Dean rules where they were not allowed, but she didn't feel it was right. He was adament to their coach that they shouldn't be allowed to use them. Naturally, they did. One girl (12u) smacked a homerun her first time at bat. He asked their coach if he thought it was a fair ruling, to allow his team to use them, too. They took a pass. They walked all of the strong batters every inning after that but allowed the less experienced, smaller girls use them. She said they could barely swing the bats around to hit. Question: is it legal to use those bats in fastpitch?

Maybe because there is no such animal. Any indication of Men's, Women's, Fastpitch, Slowpitch, etc. on the bat is purely a manufacturer's designation and has absolutely no bearing on legality or ability to use in any particular ball game.

Yes, there are leagues which outlaw one or another in either game, but there is zero, nil, zip, nada, no information or data or even a slight indication there is any difference whatsoever. They all test the same

thanks, y'all for posting back! i will let that coach know. he was furious about it...we haven't seen it in any league we've played in (no longer play for him). guess that team just wanted to test the waters?! :)

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Just don't forget, unless championship play, local organizations may adjust the rules as they see fit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13