Viral video consequences

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 5, 2022
12u softball game today. Catcher catches the ball with runner on second. Batter steps out of the box as the catcher goes to throw to third. Catcher bumps into the batter with her arm as she goes to throw because the catcher also stepped back to throw like she is supposed to to clear a batter who is supposed to be in the box. Umpire tosses the catcher and says no contact allowed. I don’t have a video because I was just a casual observer after my daughters team had lost but can tell you that the catcher did absolutely everything right. We alerted the tournament director and the uic so that they could discuss the situation with the umpire and make sure he was clear on the play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 27, 2021
Yep, a knee jerk reaction to the TX HS catcher. Two wrongs don't make a right (nothing but a shrug in TX then over the top after that in other places)

Aug 5, 2022

Meaning it was not my child’s team so I had no vested interest other than someone who’s really tired of umpires that make things up and don’t learn rules. Honestly I’d be fine with half the travel games being available due to fewer umpires just to get better ones.

Jun 8, 2016
Meaning it was not my child’s team so I had no vested interest other than someone who’s really tired of umpires that make things up and don’t learn rules. Honestly I’d be fine with half the travel games being available due to fewer umpires just to get better ones.

I knew what you meant…I found the juxtaposition amusing.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2013
Is it a rule that the catcher has to or is entitled to go behind the batter to throw to third? Or, is it a rule that the batter is not allowed to step out of the box if there is a play at third?

I have never thought it was so cut and dried.

May 29, 2015

Not saying that isn't a problem ... but the bigger problem is the places that continue to hire them because they have games that NEED to be filled.

Sorry, given my professional background and experience, I rarely fault a bad waiter for the service anymore. I fault the person that continues to enable them to provide bad service.

May 29, 2015
Is it a rule that the catcher has to or is entitled to go behind the batter to throw to third? Or, is it a rule that the batter is not allowed to step out of the box if there is a play at third?

I have never thought it was so cut and dried.

It is not.

The batter cannot make any movement that interferes -- in the box or out of the box does not matter. Unfortunately, that has been interpreted in many codes so that the only way a batter can absolve one's self is to hold completely still, which often still leaves them in the way. However, the overly-literal interpretation is a batter who does not move cannot be called for interference.

May 27, 2022

It is such a fine line; in the other 'catcher' thread, it has been argued that the umpire that didn't eject that catcher should be banned for life. But, it is hard to know in the heat of moment what just happened.

There are so many factors at play:
- We need more umpires
- To do the game
- For out of season training
- For in game oversight
- It takes hundreds of games to be a good umpire
- You have to really care about your craft to have the drive to study to be great
- It isn't anyone's primary responsibility to be a great umpire

No umpires are 'perfect' - at ANY amateur level (including college). Some show their deficiencies every inning, some every game, some every season, but eventually they all make mistakes and knowledgeable fans know it.

For teams that I have coached, you have to take it in stride - understand that it's a roll of the dice as to the knowledge level of the umpire and roll with it. There are ways to provide feedback (in hopes the umpire looks at the rule and tries to become better).

BUT - keep in mind that every game allows the umpire to be better at what they do too. Hopefully, they are growing skills just like the players and we all get better as we move forward.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802