Manipulating the Barrel Early with Hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
tumblr_ps2xzjWsHX1usf292o1_400.gif

What in this video are we focusing on? i see a nice FYB, but i also see the barrel dropping into almost a DBSF type swing. It looks like her hands are high getting pulled back and then dropping to a lower pitch with little torso tilt. Sorry, maybe i am missing the point of the post.

Jul 29, 2013
Justin Stone says it will cause bat dumping and longer swing path which will effect timing on high velocity pitchers. Says the angle of the torso and shoulders, maintaining resistance will create proper swing path.

Yalls thoughts?
Moving the bat away from the ball (is that what he calls dumping?) could also be considered to be a running start. Picture the bat starting early on a longer swing path but not entering the strike zone until later on the swing path, building early speed and then entering the strike zone at much greater velocity when the batter decides to strike the ball. Overall the swing path might be longer but the ultimate speed of the bat is much greater at contact. Also known as the A to B to C swing vs the "shorter" A to C swing. In A- B -C, the time spent A-B is building bat speed. While some might view that as dumping the barrel, I see it as getting on plane early with a running start.
I do agree that manipulating the bat with your hands is bad. It's much better to "dump" the bat by slotting the back elbow in unison with raising the front forearm to align with the line of the shoulders. The shoulders align to the plane of the pitch.

Jul 29, 2013
tumblr_ps2xzjWsHX1usf292o1_400.gif

Or, is the barrel being 'dropped' or lowered/lowering by the hitter tilting her body.

I see the hands turning the barrel.
Nice GIF. I see the bat being turned around the rear forearm (the axis) by the front arm applying force to the handle of the bat (torque)
The bat being lowered is the alignment of the bat to the rotational plane of the shoulders.

Aug 20, 2017
Stone simply thinks the TTB stuff is a result of the body being in proper sequence. Not a specific hand movement, whether that’s the top hand or the bottom hand or moving the knob or the barrel. I see that most posters on here have backed themselves into a corner on TTB.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man

I don't fully understand the 'TTB' skirmishes that happen here, but:

One would be hard pressed to say the hands (with the teeny wrist muscles) are doing more here than the overpowering leverage of the driving/dropping back elbow, and the rotating torso.

In a good swing, once the uncoil happens, the hands are merely holding onto the bat for dear life.

Please note:
1) the front arm/hand is not 'moving' at all. (Many people try to intentionally move the front arm up during this phase. This is not how this works.)
2) during this phase the hands stay with the back armpit and rotate around with the torso.
3) the box/triangle method of swinging is busted here as well. Notice the elbows getting about 7 inches closer together here.
4) the hands always stay in front (or at least even) with the back elbow. (I know a couple of MLB hitters have hands behind for a frame before 'hip slot', but are able to muscle them in front in time)

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
View attachment 14266

I don't fully understand the 'TTB' skirmishes that happen here, but:

Pretty simple really. Some people see the clip you posted and notice that the tip of the barrel is moving rearward. Others notice that the knob is moving toward the pitcher but feel that the barrel isnt moving. We just think its moving but it's some type of trick. At least that's what I gather from it...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA