Manipulating the Barrel Early with Hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
One would be hard pressed to say the hands (with the teeny wrist muscles) are doing more here than the overpowering leverage of the driving/dropping back elbow, and the rotating torso.
Could the forearms be 'helping' a little bit..........................

Oct 2, 2017
Pretty simple really. Some people see the clip you posted and notice that the tip of the barrel is moving rearward. Others notice that the knob is moving toward the pitcher but feel that the barrel isnt moving. We just think its moving but it's some type of trick. At least that's what I gather from it...

What I see in the clip in #168 is the bat which at launch is close to be weight less. Like trying to balance a bat on your hands as a kid. The bat is a inverted pendulum. because it heavier on one end. Once you move the handle or knob, the weighted falls and picks up speed. Hence TTB. Just a thought. :unsure: Now once the barrel falls or TTB the elbow and hands then try to support the falling weight of the bat head as it is swinging around.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
What I see in the clip in #168 is the bat which at launch is close to be weight less. Like trying to balance a bat on your hands as a kid. The bat is a inverted pendulum. because it heavier on one end. Once you move the handle or knob, the weighted falls and picks up speed. Hence TTB. Just a thought. :unsure: Now once the barrel falls or TTB the elbow and hands then try to support the falling weight of the bat head as it is swinging around.

View attachment 14272

So are you stating that during that clip, the only force that is acting on the barrel is gravity? I believe there is more to it than that.

Oct 2, 2017
So are you stating that during that clip, the only force that is acting on the barrel is gravity? I believe there is more to it than that.

To initiate the start of the barrel I would say yes. At a certain point though hands etc. do start to torque the bat.

Oct 2, 2017
Why would you not want to speed up the process by torquing the handle immediately?
I'm not saying that it would not be beneficial in theory, but if we are going by what we see. I just don't see the hands at least in the video clip posted of any initial hand torquing.

Oct 2, 2017
I guess the debate is when that "certain point" occurs...

Agree, as I said to Eric f I just don't see it happening at initiation. If we going by what we see. Even when I try and swing a bat myself. I don't feel my hands doing any torque out at the gate.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Agree, as I said to Eric f I just don't see it happening at initiation. If we going by what we see. Even when I try and swing a bat myself. I don't feel my hands doing any torque out at the gate.

How about the hands as an extension of the elbow slot and forearms? I feel it as the bottom hand is leveling and getting on plane with the ball and the rear hand/forearm pulling the barrel down as the body tilts so the torque happens within the plane. Otherwise if you torque with just the hands/wrists to tap the catcher on the head you will dump the barrel below plane and never recover. If the hands are just along for the ride, i feel that you wouldn't be maximizing the swing. IMO.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee