Manipulating the Barrel Early with Hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
How about the hands as an extension of the elbow slot and forearms? I feel it as the bottom hand is leveling and getting on plane with the ball and the rear hand/forearm pulling the barrel down as the body tilts so the torque happens within the plane. Otherwise if you torque with just the hands/wrists to tap the catcher on the head you will dump the barrel below plane and never recover. If the hands are just along for the ride, i feel that you wouldn't be maximizing the swing. IMO.

Not sure I quite visualize this.

As far as the bottom hand/top hand. I cant remember who it was that said it, but they said their bottom hand was the steering wheel and the top hand was the hammer. That seems similar to what you are saying. Which to me is like what I was stating that the bat is a inverted pendulum. Meaning the bottom hand flattens which moves the knob/handle which causes the bat to start to fall and arc rearward. Once it gets to a certain point in that rearward arc the top hand takes over and starts to torque the handle. This is all me just trying to think outside the box.

Last edited:

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Not sure I quite visualize this.

As far as the bottom hand/top hand. I cant remember who it was that said it, but they said their bottom hand was the steering wheel and the top hand was the hammer. That seems similar to what you are saying. Which to me is like what I was stating that the bat is a inverted pendulum. Meaning the bottom hand flattens which moves the knob/handle which causes the bat to start to fall and arc rearward. Once it gets to a certain point in that rearward arc the top hand takes over and starts to torque the handle. This is all me just trying to think outside the box.

I think we are saying the same thing. I just feel the torque happening immediately and not waiting until the barrel starts to fall. I like the idea more of the tip and rip. Where the loading of the scap is the tip, and the torquing of the handle is the rip.

In re-reading your bold above, i guess my question would be, do you believe the top hand is more of the oar pivot and the lower hand flatten and pulls? I ask this because i watched the Boardmember terminal velocity video again and that seems to be exactly what he is saying, and that the pivot point there along with the pulling of the bottom hand creates the needed force to generate terminal velocity. I don't fully understand that as it seems to create an around the body swing as he needs to continue to pull the bottom hand around that pivot point not creating the whip that i would expect.

In any case i think julray had a picture of the barrel and hands with arrows and lines and stuff. This is what i would expect with torquing the handle for an immediate start to get up to speed pulling and simultaneously torquing (perhaps with both hands) the handle which 'turns the barrel' into the zone while the hands then extend and release the barrel into whip and contact. But i think the whole system is active.

I have been round and round in my head as to what way to help DD improve, so thanks for the input.

Oct 2, 2017
I think we are saying the same thing. I just feel the torque happening immediately and not waiting until the barrel starts to fall. I like the idea more of the tip and rip. Where the loading of the scap is the tip, and the torquing of the handle is the rip.

In re-reading your bold above, i guess my question would be, do you believe the top hand is more of the oar pivot and the lower hand flatten and pulls? I ask this because i watched the Boardmember terminal velocity video again and that seems to be exactly what he is saying, and that the pivot point there along with the pulling of the bottom hand creates the needed force to generate terminal velocity. I don't fully understand that as it seems to create an around the body swing as he needs to continue to pull the bottom hand around that pivot point not creating the whip that i would expect.

In any case i think julray had a picture of the barrel and hands with arrows and lines and stuff. This is what i would expect with torquing the handle for an immediate start to get up to speed pulling and simultaneously torquing (perhaps with both hands) the handle which 'turns the barrel' into the zone while the hands then extend and release the barrel into whip and contact. But i think the whole system is active.

I have been round and round in my head as to what way to help DD improve, so thanks for the input.

Can you explain what you mean by "Oar Pivot"?

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
tumblr_psc7poZTr61usf292o1_250.gif

Oct 2, 2017
It's probably not as much of an oar pivot, but similar. Meaning that the top hand doesn't actively torque but is more of a guide that directs the barrel. Fairly passive. See the video around 2 min mark, i think that is close to the section.

I'm not sure it's mearly a support and guide as the Barrell turns. I can see it that way, but I feel it has to be apply some amount of torque on the bat.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
You won't see MLB hitters with the swing flaws in post #185 (bat drag) and #186 (vertical rear forearm).

Their bat head won't get in front of the hands until late in the swing. It's possible for some to pull HRs with this swing.

Just think how good any of your kids would be with a MLB swing.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee