Manipulating the Barrel Early with Hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2009
The idea that 'turn the barrel' is an *approach* and not just a way of thinking about having 'live and independent hands' or a 'tight hand pivot point' or however you want to talk about the role of the hands in the swing is really weird to me. If you are just referring to TM, then he has a lot more to say about the swing then just torquing the handle. Go see his twitter today, for example, there's a lot to absorb (I'll leave it there, seek it out if you're interested).

Same goes for turn the triangle *vs* torquing the handle. I don't see it as either/or. I use both concepts depending on the hitter and where they are with their swing.

Julray asked: how do you teach torquing the handle? I talk to hitters about the changing pressure points in their grip as they move through what is typically called the 'rock the u' or 'tip and rip' parts of the swing. As you 'rock the u', IMO, your hands aren't dead ... it's NOT just moving your elbows through space ... your hands are actively working the handle for maximum torque and ultimately whip.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
This shows the barrel getting up to speed when the end of the bat points at the catcher, and the hands dont reach max speed until out front more.

i would still see the benefit in helping the barrel get started instead of waiting for the hand path to take it there. I can see the combination of the two making peak acceleration.

The hand path doesn’t start the hands forward. That would be the evil ‘push’.

Scapular retraction connects to the forward moving, pulling(rotating) shifting core, which pulls the scap closer which pulls the hands forward into the slot. Some call it a scap ‘load’. I think that’s counter productive and can get over baked because of the wording. ‘Load’ implies active. It’s a reactive part of the sequence. That’s why I don’t use ‘pullback’ either. To each his own. Personally I want the retraction feel. But I want the hands to feel free at this moment and time in the sequence. Loose and quiet if you will.

This is the PROs giddy up.

Does the scap retract before or during their forward moves?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
The idea that 'turn the barrel' is an *approach* and not just a way of thinking about having 'live and independent hands' or a 'tight hand pivot point' or however you want to talk about the role of the hands in the swing is really weird to me. If you are just referring to TM, then he has a lot more to say about the swing then just torquing the handle. Go see his twitter today, for example, there's a lot to absorb (I'll leave it there, seek it out if you're interested).

Same goes for turn the triangle *vs* torquing the handle. I don't see it as either/or. I use both concepts depending on the hitter and where they are with their swing.

Julray asked: how do you teach torquing the handle? I talk to hitters about the changing pressure points in their grip as they move through what is typically called the 'rock the u' or 'tip and rip' parts of the swing. As you 'rock the u', IMO, your hands aren't dead ... it's NOT just moving your elbows through space ... your hands are actively working the handle for maximum torque and ultimately whip.

I don’t think actively torquing the handle is what is done in pro swings. I think the bathead getting(scap retract)tipped along with the hands starting to come forward is where the torque is produced. It loads the top hand and barrel to release when necessary(whip). Some do it more then others. A timing tempo thing imo.

I believe the scap retract tips the barrel . The hands coming forward creates the ‘torque’. A sequential loading.

Maybe this is what you are saying. I intrepreted what you were saying as an active thing not a reactive mechanic.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I would also be curious on a poll of how many like this skeleton's swing? Would hate to use this as a model swing if people don't think it is correct. Please identify why it would not be ideal. thanks.
Wouldn't it help to know the hitter(amateur....pro or what) before making it a 'model swing'......

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I don’t think actively torquing the handle is what is done in pro swings.
Hands in charge.
tumblr_przb3wxZ1B1usf292o1_400.gif

tumblr_przb7sorKJ1usf292o1_100.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LisagS24